Asking for "Texas-centric" food recs near San Antonio

DW and me will be in the San Antonio area over the Fourth of July holiday weekend. Asking Texas HOs for one or two must eat places in the area. Bar service would be a plus. Tex-Mex, BBQ, German, anything that might be considered a local gem.

Well you certainly do plan ahead. People will no doubt recommend the puffy tacos at Henry’s Puffy Tacos, which is admittedly a taco muy famoso. Also, you will hear Mi Tierra or perhaps La Fonda for more Tex-Mex. All solid classics for the food most known in SA.

But for me, there are newer places I can’t miss, like the Shrimp Paesano at Paesano’s on the Riverwalk, anything at Cured at the Pearl Brewery,. For more upscale Texas/Mexico, Boudro’s Texas Bistro. And if the weather’s nice (not likely in July), I like to have breakfast al fresco at the Guenther House at the Pioneer Flour Mill.

Also, since this comes up periodically, search this site for “San Antonio” and you’ll be swamped with recs.

Thank you for your reply, lambowner, did not think to do that first. :pensive:

Afraid I can’t be of much help as far as food goes in San Antonio. We always go out for Mexican and I just don’t care for it. My husband says it’s authentic Tex-Mex. Strange hot sauce with chips and I don’t like the seasoning on meat. I’m more of an El Fenix gal myself.

OTOH - Depending on where you decide to stay. Parking is at a premium at SA hotels. Can cost upwards of $45 per night. We stayed at Best Western. Nice clean and safe with plenty of free parking out back.

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-rooms.44629.html?iata=00171880&ssob=BLBWI0004G&cid=BLBWI0004G:google:gmb:44629

AND - travel several blocks down the road and you’ll find plenty of those little hole in the wall Mexican places with bars on the windows and doors that we discussed on another thread. Do not be afraid during daytime hours🙂

p.s… -San Antonio will be an absolute steam bath during summer time. Smack dab in the middle of the whole state. But you probably knew that and have some reason for visiting that time of year.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve hired fishing guides up to nine months in advance so I get the right moon phase.

I haven’t been to Henry’s but I do like the puffy tacos at Los Barrios just north of downtown. We preferred the beef over the chicken and they do a classic Tex-Mex beef enchilada that is as good as any I’ve had. They have a bar. I’m not wild about the food at Mi Tierra, maybe we got the wrong things and it is worth going to for the Mercado.

www.losbarriosrestaurant.com/index.html

I second Boudro’s and Paesono’s, they both dispel the myth that you can’t get a good meal on the River. Boudro’s has a nice lunch menu and the tableside guacamole is a must. They have the recipe on their website.

www.boudros.com/

I haven’t been to any of your other suggestions.

4 Likes

Not that I’m becoming obsessed by food offerings in San Antonio…but can any HOs comment on this list out of restaurants offering Fideo Loco?

I buy packaged fideo soup, but have never had the loco. It has its season, inexplicably, since no ingredients are seasonal. Let us know if you come across any. I’ve never noticed it on a menu.

2 Likes