Asian Spicy Curry pop up, Manhattan chinatown

Figure there are lots of New Yorkers lurking so I will start some new threads.

Asian Spicy Curry, run by Yip Khuan Thye, has taken over the Mama Eatery space. They serve curries draw from Malay, Indian and Chinese traditions. Each curry comes with noodles- ho fun, lo mein, mai fun- or jasmine rice.

Have anyone tried this?

I had dinner there there this evening. Just to clarify, Asian Spicy Curry only uses the space in the evenings; Mama Eatery remains the daytime occupant. ASC’s menu is small but it includes chicken, beef, seafood, and vegetarian items. I had the curry noodle soup with seafood (chose the mei fun noodles) and very much enjoyed it. I’m not knowledgeable about Malaysian cuisine, so perhaps a connoisseur would be more critical, but I found it flavorful, lively, and not too hot: the taste dominated the heat rather than the other way around. The portion was a decent size, and while it certainly contained a lot of noodles, the kitchen wasn’t stingy with the seafood toppings. At $7, it was an excellent value. I also ordered a green salad ($3) that turned out to be just lettuce and cucumbers: not very interesting, but crisp and refreshing. They don’t serve alcohol so I stuck with water and tea. The decor is not quite no-frills - maybe best described as low-frills. The servers were friendly and helpful. An altogether satisfying experience.

I can see why I missed this. I’ll try to remember to try it out. What looks like some kind of curry laksa in the picture looks good. I’ll try speaking with them in Malay and asking them to tell the kitchen I’m Malaysian, and see if it works…(For the record, I’m not Malaysian and I’m a white guy but lived there for a couple of years as a child.)

Curious- when you said you would tell them you are Malaysian, what did you want the kitchen do differently? I am not a connoisseur of Malaysian cuisine either though Malaysian dishes have always been to me, layered and sophisticated flavors but not overly spicy. My understanding is that sometimes with spicy cuisine like Indian one has to tell the kitchen to cook it like for the locals in order for the kitchen not to dumb down the food, but I am curious what you are looking to have the kitchen do.

Make it spicy, use lots of belacan if I order something with belacan, and cook it with real Malaysian taste, not some sweet, bland bullshit. :smile:

Pan, if you get around to trying the place, please let us know what you think. To me, the food tasted neither sweet nor bland; but I have no idea whether it tasted Malaysian.

I absolutely will report back if I get around to trying the place.