Asian restaurants, westchester

I really disliked Ramenesque. This is more from a POV just of good vs bad food in general as I’m not a ramen connoisseur. Edited to add- the one in Peekskill.

I haven’t been to Tanto in awhile, my thoughts were that it was very similar to West Coast Japanese/American Bento fast food. Not bad, actually decent, but not authentic Japanese or homestyle. One of my areas of specialization is Japanese home cooking, and izakaya foods. (I actually have a soft spot for West Coast Japanese American fast food from when I lived in and went to grad school in Seattle, and visiting friends in OR and CA.) But again, I haven’t been in awhile and may not be remembering right. I will stop by and try them out again.

1 Like

Went back to Fantasy Cuisine last night – another great Sichuan dinner. The Dry Pot dish (from their Sichuan menu) was excellent, hadn’t had that before.

2 Likes

How is fantasy cuisine in comparison to O’mandarin?

Which places would you recommend, either in Westchester or NYC, where you can get authentic Japanese home cooking?

I haven’t been to O Mandarin but it’s on my list to try

Have you tried Ootoya in NYC? They have a chain of traditional Japanese restaurants in Japan and opened up in NYC a few years ago. Not sure if it’s “home cooking” but it’s very traditional and reasonably priced. It’s not a sushi place but they do have some sushi. Always packed with Japanese diners.

I have not tried Ootoya. I am not able to make frequent trips to NYC, but I will try soon!

I stopped by Tanto for lunch today, and it is as I remembered it. I enjoyed a bowl of beef teriyaki, with a salad. The dressing on the salad was very nice, a traditional soy/ginger vinaigrette. I have to add Tanto back into my rotation for lunch stops.

1 Like

We went to Ramen Musashi today. The parking lot was full and the place was packed when we walked in at 1:30. Every seat was taken, but after a few minutes, a table became available.

The yuzu shoyu ramen, tanmen, and gyoza were very good. We loved how the yuzu brightened the shoyu broth. The tanmen was loaded with beautiful, fresh vegetables. The gyoza skins were thin and delicate. They were prepared perfectly, unlike the gyoza aberration I was served at Kishuya. The only complaint was that the egg noodles in the shoyu had a bit of a refrigerated taste. This is from someone who regularly eats freshly-made noodles, so he may be a bit sensitive to that. All in all, we were pretty happy and plan to go back soon.

1 Like

Is this place where Ramen Q used to be?

Yes, attached to Fuji Mart in Scarsdale.

Is it just a new name to the old restaurant or is it actually a new one?

I hadn’t been there before, but I’m pretty sure it just has a new name. It’s a very small, low-key, counter service eatery.