Asian - particularly Chinese - monmouth?

Nothing wrong with a Popeyes buffet, had one two blocks from my high school.

I meant research the NYC restaurant. I’m Def not cooking a Peking duck. I smoke my ducks, that labor intensive enough for me.

I’ve been to Popeyes like twice in my life. It was good. I never knew they did a buffet.

Thank you. I may just have to try this soon. It’s been a while since I’ve had a Peking duck.

I’m embarrassed to admit that I don’t like duck, but the ones hanging at the bbq counter at Asian Food on rt 79 in Marlboro look pretty good. I’ve gotten their pork and chicken there and enjoyed both.

Sang Kee has a branch in Cherry Hill:
NJ 601 Kings Hwy N
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
Not sure if they have peking duck but they do have roast duck and other Chinese BBQ offering.

We like The Oriental also.
The owner is from Hong Kong and their food does taste Cantonese/HK.
I like their dim sum on weekend (no carts, order off menu).
For dinner, i order off the “Special section” of the menu. I like the Beef Stew and also the Crispy chicken. They also does a good job with the whole steamed fish.
http://www.orientalmarlboro.com/dineinmenu.pdf

1 Like

As I just mentioned on the recent HOdown thread, I went for dim sum at Crown Palace in Marlboro yesterday. Since we had been at West Lake a week before, I did have a very recent point of comparison, and my immediate response is that CP just didn’t hold a candle to WL. I was sitting there and talking about Sichuan Cottage (for those who don’t know, it’s diagonally across the street) and missing/wishing for those flavors.

That said, they did what they do just fine–but for me, it was boring. I don’t know if it’s because we had a later res (2pm) or because we were two large tables of round eyes, but YAWN. Pork shumai. Shrimp buns (3 ways). Fried crab ball (I couldn’t eat it and now that I think about it, nobody made a comment on them). Stuffed eggplant was tasty, but a bit too greasy for me. Turnip cake seemed like the only authentic item we tried; I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it, either. My favorite of all of the dim sum items was probably the warm sesame ball.

Partially because we were underwhelmed with the dim sum, partially because we were hungry, and partially because we were curious, we also ordered a few items off of the regular menu:

Tangerine Beef
Moo Shu Pork
Beef Chow Fun
Snow Pea Tips

I will say that these four dishes were all done extremely well. Perhaps I’m just too focused on Szechuan food to truly appreciate other regions of China, but at least I can say I’ve been to CP. I’ll stick to Sichuan Cottage, though. :smirk:

ETA that if you want to see the incredible photos that my friend Eric took (AND pics from the night before), he’s on Instagram as thegratefulchef_ee

1 Like

The Crown Palace in Middletown isn’t much better. Uninspired cuisine and pricey considering it barely reaches the level of average takeout. I’d rather drive the 30 minutes to SC than the 5 minutes down Route 35 to the CP in Middletown.

We have always gone to Crown Palace (Marlboro) for three reasons. First, several of the people we go with live south such that just coming up Route 18 is much more convenient that getting to West Lake. Second, when we went to West Lake at the beginning, they were not very busy and the result was that stuff sat on the carts for a long time and was pretty much room temperature. And third, they don’t have a fry cart that comes around, and even if you can order everything, right off the cart is fresher. (Mark is a big fan of the Turnip Cake; I always get the Stuffed Hot Peppers.)

FWIW, we both prefer the Mexican buns at Crown Palace to the ones at West Lake.

But admittedly, if it’s just the two of us, we do go to West Lake–it is way more convenient for us. (I should add that Crown Palace also has parking issues and you can end up have to park in the overflow lot a block away.)

I agree, after discussing with my brother ( Who sat at the quiet table) the dim sum was boring.

Being there before with my chinese friend I would like to think it was because of the time, dim sum ended at 3pm. In the past I have been overwhelmed with the traditional plates, not knowing what they are or what to ask for.

I do like WestLake but if Im going to drive 45 mins i may as well go straight in to Manhattan. You interested? Im due for a trip.

I will have to try the place directly across the street as you mentioned… i trust you :wink:

You’re a smart man… :blush: (For real) holler any time you want to meet up! There are a couple of people on here who live TOO close, and I’m always game to take the ride.

Agreed on Middletown. I find their dim sum super greasy, too.