ASIAN NOODLES - Summer 2023 (Jul-Sept) Dish of the Quarter

@Mr_Happy Do you refer to a recipe for your Dan Dan and Zhajiangmian?

Those delicious looking dandan noodles are @BierMonk ’s but for the zhajiangmian I usually use Fuchsia Dunlop’s recipe from Every Grain of Rice which can also be found online here https://www.seriouseats.com/fuchsia-dunlops-zhajiang-noodles-zha-jiang-mian-recipe

6 Likes

I used to refer to a Recipe but have made them and a few other spicy Chinese Noodle Dishes so often that it is kind of second nature now.
Originally I used Fuchsia Dunlop’s Dandan Mein. Then to the Yibin Ranmian 燃面 Recipe. Cold Sesame Noodles work in every now and again.
After making them all for a while and using other recipes you get a feeling for it and can play around (successfully :wink:)
I do not make Zhajiangmian so no guidance there other than that the Chinese Cooking Demystified Folks are usually right on.

6 Likes

Dan dan noodles are one of my all-time favorite things. I had a great rendition recently at a hole-in-the-wall hand-pulled noodle place in Vancouver, BC, called Happy Noodle House. Maybe the best I’ve ever had - certainly better than anything I’ve had in in NYC/Flushing.

10 Likes

CURRY NOODLE SOUP

There are many versions of this, but the one I am usually aiming for in flavor is the one a local Vietnamese restaurant serves.

The base is red curry paste bloomed in coconut cream/milk, ginger and garlic, sometimes lemongrass (if I’m using curry powder or spices instead of paste), and broth or bouillon (chicken or veg). Vegetable add-ins of choice, chicken or other protein, and finished with fish sauce (or Maggi if veg), jaggery (in place of palm sugar), and lime juice. Cilantro too if I have it. Noodles vary – the restaurant version uses rice vermicelli, but I prefer wheat noodles.

This time I used flat noodles that needed using up, leftover chicken thighs cooked with some of the base to flavor it, spinach, onions, and mushrooms. Kept half the soup vegetarian and shredded the chicken into the other half.

This recipe is pretty similar, but I like using bone-in chicken to make a stock first (or using previously made bone broth instead of commercial stock).

10 Likes

Nominations for next quarter are underway

1 Like

Reminds me of one of my favorites, Khao Soi Thai (ข้าวซอย)
Yellow Coconut Curry Broth with Chicken, Pickled Mustard Greens and Egg Noodles. Topped with fried Noodles.

(not my Photo)

8 Likes

I started out thinking I’d make Khow suey (the Indo-Burmese version, though I’m happy eating any version!) but got lazy about the toppings (which add so much that it’s not the same if I copped out on them)

Stir Fried Glass Noodles with Vegetables and Chicken for Lunch today, Pad Woon Sen Gai

10 Likes

Posting a photo of an ad hoc pancit (Filipino noodle dish).

Great for using up leftover bits and bobs. Cook your proteins and reserve. Cook your noodles and reserve. Stir fry your aromatics and your veggies. Add a bit of “whatever” sauce. Dump the proteins and the noodles back in and toss a minute or two until everything is warmed through. Cover and rest a minute or two. Serve.

13 Likes

Hit one of our favorite food trucks in the Hudson Valley for some Thai food after a trip to the apple orchard this weekend. In addition to their outstanding dumplings, DH and I split “stewed beef noodle,” which looks like this in their FB pics:

In reality, it was served without jalapenos, which IMO it needed. Still very tasty - the broth was a little heavy on anise but very clean tasting, without the richness of pho. Rice noodles picked up the flavors nicely and bitter gai lan set off the subtle sweetness. Not something I’d go out of my way to order again (especially not at a place with a full menu, where I could get pad kee mao or pad see ew instead!), but nice for a change of pace!

6 Likes

Dropping this here in hopes of future inspiration.

1 Like

The Ramen_Lord Book of Ramen, a 130 page online book with everything you need to know about making ramen.

1 Like

Another attempt at chow fun and pad see ew — aka how to use up fresh ho fun.

Non-stick pan instead of a wok this time, which helped keep the 2 day-old noodles from breaking up and getting gloppy, but still produced good char and flavor.

Another new thing I did was to mix the sauce with noodles and set them aside while I prepped and sautéed the rest of the ingredients. It absorbed into the noodles, and there was a lot less sticking overall because there was less sauce in the pan.

8 Likes

This would be my final meal before being taken to the electric chair

Ants Climbing a Tree /Ma Yi Shang Shu
Sichuan Mung bean thread / Glass noodles / Cellophane noodles sauteed with ground pork (turkey)

I looked up a few recipes in search of something that sounded like the dish I’ve eaten a few times. This one seemed to look like a good starting point (the only one I came across with dou-chi / fermented black beans, in addition to the sichuan doubanjiang all the recipes call for). I did adjust the proportions to taste, and add a bit of vinegar (I did see one recipe call for preserved greens, which would also provide a tang) and a touch more sugar to balance the flavor out.

I cooked the ground turkey with all the seasonings, then drained off the sauce, and browned the turkey a bit more before removing it from the pan.

I then cooked the noodles with the saved sauce and adjusted to taste, then added enough of the ground turkey for the portion.

Turns out I inadvertently got the wrong noodles the first time (rice vermicelli), but they still tasted good as they absorbed the sauce well.

Then I got the right noodles (mung bean vermicelli / threads), made more sauce for the noodle portion, and finished with the previously seasoned ground turkey. The second version was what I remembered of the restaurant dish.

Really tasty! Would work well with capellini or linguine too, I think, just needs a bit of chew on a noodle that can absorb the flavors.

5 Likes

Haven’t made it, but looks tasty, adaptable, and doable:

2 Likes

I started adding PB to instant noodles (esp shin black) about 6 months ago…it’s fantastic. Crunchy PB adds another great texture, too.

6 Likes

I used to add PB to my Sapporo Ichiban ramen 30 years ago. I’d drain the noodles, add half the flavour packet, some crushed chiles and a tbsp or 2 of PB.

5 Likes