Asian cooking and cheese

Yak milk has about 16.9% - 17.7% solids, 4.9% - 5.3% protein, 5.5% - 7.2% fat, 4.5% - 5.0% lactose, and 0.8% - 0.9% minerals.

Source

Babies can all digest lactose unless something is seriously wrong - human milk contains lactose. After childhood, most people lose the ability to digest it, but some donā€™t. Unfortunately the only way to increase the proportion of lactose-tolerant adults would be if fewer lactose-intolerant adults lived long enough to have children (which is apparently exactly what happened at some point in large parts of Europe and smaller parts of other continents).

1 Like

Lactose intolerance may be part of the answer but it is certainly not continent wide. I live in Thailand and except for western supermarkets itā€™s often hard to find milk, even in 7/11. Itā€™s the same in China. Iā€™ve also spent time in Mongolia and dairy is a huge part of the diet there. Milk, cream, butter, cheese. There were days when Iā€™m sure I got over 50% of my calories from dairy. My cholesterol level went up by more than 50 points in a month.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but do you ever watch the Artger YouTube channel?

Great video. Thanks.
Itā€™s totally on topic. ā€œCheese is the summer national dish of Mongolia.ā€
I donā€™t know the lactose content of the 8-10 different mammals they get milk from so maybe thatā€™s another part of the answer. Airag is the national drink but fermenting the raw mareā€™s milk should make it more easily digestible.

2 Likes

The yak meat I ate in Bhutan was quite mild. Iā€™m not a big beef eater, but I enjoyed yak.

Also the milk makes great yogurt. I have to think the cheese would be pretty good also.

ā€œYak: The milk that goes bad real goodā€

:smile:

1 Like

Hey, I never even thought about it that way.