Asia Market Restaurant - Houston

First things first: there no market at Asia Market Restaurant. The owners operated Asia Market a couple miles away for a couple of decades, a small market mostly serving the Thai, Lao and Cambodian communities, that became famous for its kitchen. From a small, crowded room at the back, cooks turned out some of the best Thai food in Houston to diners who crowded narrow rows of 2-tops up against the front windows.

A few months back, they sold the market to employees and announced plans for this place. It’s been open only a couple of weeks and is gaining a following. The new location solves the crowded kitchen, dining and parking situation at the old and allows for an expanded menu and a bar.

I had Satay Kai and Kee Mao Noodle, aka Chicken satay with peanut sauce and cucumber salad and flat rice noodles, pan-fried, with onion, tomato, basil and pork. This is my first experience with either dish so I can’t compare to others I’ve had.

Meanwhile the new owners of Asia Market not only kept the market open but also the kitchen, re-named it Asia Market Thai and Lao Restaurant, and it’s gathering a following, too. (There are some Lao dishes on the menu at the new restaurant also).

I hope both places do well. That would be a plus for Houston diners.

http://www.asiamarkethouston.com/

Here’s a link to some pictures on my picture blog. Sorry for the overlit conditions on the Satay plate, I have a pretty cheap camera. Those are carrots on the left, not Halloween decorations.