[Ashton under Lyne] Lily's

It was earlier in the year when we last had lunch at Lily’s. I wouldn’t normally write about a place again so soon after but there’s news. Big news. They are developing a restaurant site, literally on the other side of the road. It’ll be much bigger, be open in the evening and have an alcohol licence. So, definitely restaurant not café. It’ll be opening in the spring. Let’s hope that they retain all the good things about Lily’s – particularly the commitment to regional vegetarian food.

As for the lunch, I see from my past notes that we managed to order exactly the same as last time. So that’s a really good bhel puri, although not as tangy as previous, and a cracker of a samosa chaat, crispy, spicy, yoghurt and sharp from tamarind chutney. I forgive them for it being perhaps overly wet.

For mains, masala dosa was bang-on – crisp pancake, nicely spiced potato filling, mellow sambar and coconut chutney being great accompaniments. Vegetable Lasinya (sp?) was a mix of cabbage, carrot, peppers in a clingy, quite spicy sauce. It went very well with the rotli I ordered.

2 Likes