[Ashton under Lyne] Lily's Vegetarian Indian Cuisine

When several months pass between visits to somewhere like Lily’s, you forget just how outstandingly good the food is. And I see that as an omnivore, who has always enjoyed the entirely vegetarian food here. It’s mainly, but not exclusively, Gujarati.

So, there was an outstandingly good bhel puri. Crisp bits, soft bits, tangy sauce. I ‘ve said before this is the best bhel either of us have ever eaten and it remains so. Samosa chaat tasted lovely – broken up bits of crisp vegetable samosa with yoghurt and tamarind sauce. Personally, I thought they’d overdone it with the wet ingredients but that was a minor quibble.

For mains, one of us went for masala dosa. Faultless. Crisp dosa, nice potato filling spiked with mustard seeds, a calming coconut chutney and a delicious sambar (something that can be a bit iffy in other places). There was something of a fry-up for the other plate – I can’t recall it’s name. Cabbage, peppers, other veg in a poky, clingy sauce. Pilau rice was particularly delicious, as were the chapatis (I’m assuming they would be the same as they sell in the adjacent supermarket, so I stocked up on a couple of packs).

What a cracking lunch!

1 Like

Sounds epic! Can’t find a decent Bhel Puri place in London at the moment for less than £5 which i refuse to pay as a matter of principle.

I think the Bhel was £4.50.

Place is a cafe attached to an asian supermarket. Before I retired, I worked literally across the road from the supermarket but that was before the opened the cafe.

Review in the Guardian in 2014 - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/31/lilys-greater-manchester-restaurant-review-marina-oloughlin