Ashapura Sweets and Savouries [London, Wembley Central]

I arrived early in London for a evening concert at Wembley Arena. Decided to go to Wembley Central on the London Overground and have a little wander round as the area is known to be good for authentic Indian food. I didn’t realise I could score a light lunch for less than £2 at Ashapura Sweets and Savouries - 3 dhokla and a paneer roll came to a total of 1.90. I bought a pack of 3 methi thepla (whole grain flatbreads with methi greens incorporated into the dough) for £1.20 which I had for dinner the following day warmed up in a dry pan. The dhokla were great - light and fluffy but I wish they had curry leaves in the garnish. The paneer roll didn’t have much filling and whatever filling was present was mostly peas and sweetcorn and very little paneer - I wouldn’t get this next time and wish I’d tried something else instead.

The shop was very busy, a queue of people buying snacks and sweets and tea, many just having their food and drink on the spot at a little counter. The man running the farsan (savouries) section was a master multitasker - managing the queue, taking orders, deep frying snacks simultaneously in a massive kadhai, joking with some local lads.

I wish I had been in a position to buy a selection of snacks to takeaway - but I was worried they would get confiscated at the arena, which has insane security rules and no cloakroom facilities. Maybe next time.

8 Likes