Asbury Park recs

Edit: I take it back! That comment was about Mi Cabana on Asbury Avenue. So I have ZERO Intel for you!

Stopped at Toast in Asbury on Friday afternoon on our way home from AC. I know there are a few people here not too keen on their brand. Personally, I went to the Red Bank one two or three years ago at 1 PM and was rudely told “We’re closed” despite several tables eating and their sign saying 2 PM. I didn’t have to argue-- that was enough for me. I’ve avoided all of their locations since.

Well, Friday’s late breakfast was superb. I’m not big on breakfast places in general, but my carrot cake pancakes were outrageous. I honestly cannot think of an adequate way to describe how good they were. These pancakes had the taste and texture of actual carrot cake, not just a similar flavor. Served with extra cream cheese frosting and warm maple syrup put it over the top. I also had a side of maple bacon. Justin had the brie and bacon omelette which he also loved. There were whole chunks of brie inside, including the rind-- why do people always get rid of that? Very filling. Neither of us finished (and I absent-mindedly left our to-go containers on the table). Great coffee too. If I still had the blog, I’d give it 4/5 stars.

5 Likes

Happy you enjoyed it… I can’t lie – I’ve never been in there, because I haven’t been to the one in Montclair a few times, I found it completely mediocre. The place does great business, but the next time you’re here for brunch, give Cardinal Provisions a shot too!

3 Likes

Man, that sounds amazing. In high school and through college, I waited tables at a little restaurant (now gone) called The Rosemont Cafe. It was a funky little spot that I loved. Part of the thrill of the job, was you could order anything you wanted for your shift meal and I loved when they would do a fruit and brie omelette special. Perfectly ripe peaches, pears or apples based on the season. OMG. Sides of these incredible rosemary potatoes and a fat slab of bread du jour. Hungry just thinking about it.

3 Likes