Asbury Park recs

In the last couple of weeks, I’ve ended up at two AP spots that I don’t normally frequent.

In the first case, I solidified that the “meh” reports I’ve heard from friends were confirmed and I know why Modine isn’t in my rotation. The drinks were good, but their (reportedly) amazing fried chicken? Perfectly fried, but flavorless. Really. They smoke the chicken before frying; we got smoke flavor, but the chicken AND the coating were completely flavorless. We ordered the whole bird, so it wasn’t just an issue of one piece being off. The jalapeno cornbread madelines were delicious, but the few bites of salad were nothing exciting and especially not at the price. I will say this–it was some of the best service I’ve experienced in town, and at this point pre-season, that’s hard to do.

On to the other spot: The Bonney Read. This wasn’t my choice, although I didn’t have an issue with going–because of my shellfish allergy, it’s just not on my radar, but I knew I could get fish or their excellent octopus. Here, the food although expensive ($25+ entrees), was delicious across the board. The service? Notsomuch. Our waitress was lovely and definitely trying, but after her recitation of specials, explanation of which drinks SHE likes, what they were out of, and what she recommended for apps, one of my dining companions said “Did anyone catch all of that? Because I tuned out.” Then when plates were slid (by the runners) from one end of the table to the other or HANDED to someone at the table (complete with a full lean across another person), I was reminded that service doesn’t come first in most spots around here. They were also “auctioning” the dishes, as my dad says. When there are <8 people at a table, how hard is it to indicate who ordered what? SIGH. In any case, the octopus w/chorizo was delicious, so I left with a full and happy belly. And yes, there’s a big bar there! Good to know for happy houring.

3 Likes

(Roland) #22

I gave Modine three shots and have not been back.
Well I tried to go back for the peanut butter milk punches after some drinks elsewhere and was told they took it off the menu.
My wife tried the fried chicken after hearing everyone rave about it and didn’t think it was that good.

1 Like

That’s disappointing to hear about The Bonney Read’s service. We usually sit at the bar. One time two of us sat at a table. Our meals (fish and chips and linguine and clams) were delivered separately about a minute apart. We hardly noticed and didn’t complain. When they brought our check, they comped one of the meals and apologized for bringing them out separately.

1 Like

(Roland) #24

Table service is bad at Bonney Read, table of 8 and some things came out together and other people’s meals were 15 minutes later .

1 Like

At least they’re consistent. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like