Arnold’s Lumberton nc

turns out that if you open a restaurant where about half the menu is fried food, you get pretty good at frying food. Arnold’s is a must stop for us, a guilty pleasure, but in a nod to our rapidly declining life expectancy, we typically eat plant-based foods only the day before and the day after. Just two sizes on the draft beer, 12 and 24 ounces,

I suggested to the server that in the spirit of excess, they eliminate the 12 ounce glass, I was thanked for my input, maybe not as politely as I’ve just written, there was some muttering about “Yankees” but it was tough to follow given the accent and froth gathering about the mouth. The manager snapped a photo of us getting into our tesla, probably wants to roll out the red carpet when next we visit.

Best,

8 Likes

Now that’s a righteous fry-fest!

I love curly fries - don’t know why they aren’t everywhere

2 Likes

Arnold’s Lumberton. Not really a place one finds them self much but damn I would like some of their frog legs! I haven’t been there in forever!

1 Like

We’re there 3-4 times a year, will try frogs legs next visit, thanks!

1 Like

In the most food boardy way, let me tell you that you shoulda stopped in Fayetteville & gone to Fullers instead. But you know that. And, if I ever took pictures of Ginny like those you posted of Ms. Vinouspleasure, I wouldnt have made it to Florida. See you when we all return to NYC.

1 Like

I guess I’m missing it, why would we go to fullers in Fayetteville when we could go to the one in Lumberton? Having said that, we’ve been to the one in Lumberton 2-3 times and didn’t like much except the fry bread.

Was my wife in those photos? I just saw the food.

I thought that they closed the one in Lumberton.

oh, you’re right! anyhow, I prefer to save my bbq marital coin for Shulers, mccabes or gary lee’s grocery. my brothers and I have received permission from our significant others for another bbq trip, planning, which is a euphemism for pretending to look at a map, drinking, and arguing, has commenced!

how’s the bbq in pairs?

If you want barbecue close to 95 in NC Stephenson’s is the place. 100% wood cooked, great pork and chicken almost as good as B’s. If you want gas-cooked, go to Parker’s in Wilson.

thanks, pretty sure we’ve already exchanged bob mots on parkers, was there with whole fam around ten years ago, pork wasn’t bad, we loved the room and the corn thingies. I recall the fried chicken was good, didn’t you mention a new place went into bill’s and was good? and we still haven’t tried beefmastors.’

ate at Stephensons years and years ago, good hushpuppies, was unimpressed with the pork, maybe a bad day, we’ll give it another try. Had lunch with @FlemSnopes in NYC and he raved about zzq in richmond, so that’s also on the list.’

we’re headed to new orleans and houston after fl, so only one bbq stop this trip in NC but pretty sure we’ll find a good bite or two in Houston.

best,

1 Like

North Carolina, New Orleans, and Houston. I am envious.

I’ll send you a quick set of recommendations on Houston that I recently sent to another HO friend.

1 Like

Vinouspleasure, The Bill’s replacement is not in the old location, but in a former fast food-looking place. It’s Marty’s, and Marty is/was a relative of Bills at one or two removes. The food is about like Parker’s – they cook with gas. The advantage of Parker’s are atmosphere setting, sauce, and quality of fried foods – and corn sticks. The advantages of Marty’s are gizzards and chicken pastry.