Are these Wagner skillets worth saving, and how?

Interesting, Kaleo! Might be cheaper to buy those things than take them to a shop. Tricky in a small NYC apartment though. That is also the problem with the easy off method–where to hose down without damaging the apartment (worth more than the skleets, I am sure)! But I am interested in your report. Have you ever done this before?

So, first try, mixed results. The water tank was very dirty this morning, but the rate was definitely not stripped of all rust. It’ll stay in the bath today, and I’ll see.

Anyone trying this: (1) use/buy a manual battery charger, not an automatic one. (2) The leads go black to skillet and red to anode. (3) Use 1-2T of washing soda per gallon of water. (4) Tank must be plastic.

1 Like

What was the anode?

The first time I used a largish rectangle of 3/8" mild steel. I think the sizes of grate and anode (and volume of the tank, and the necessary terminal spread) was less than ideal. I’ve shifted to using a length of 1/2" rebar.

1 Like

Mid-process report: I cooked with one of them as is and was happy with the result. And asked spouse whether I should have them renovated at the Brooklyn shop I found and he said absolutely. They were HIS mother’s, so that is that. Will report after the job is done.

1 Like

Long time no report, but I got my skillets back from Brooklyn Cast Iron, and have used each of them. They look very good, and friends have said that they look new. It was not cheap ($60/pan). Tony, the proprietor, is very nice and clearly a cast iron geek. We learned from my sister-in-law that the larger one actually belonged to their grandmother. Tony urged me repeatedly not to use that one one, but put it on the wall as a collector’s item. Sorry! I have no wall space in my NYC condo kitchen, although I have seen much smaller. I would not have had them renovated except to use them. It was a good choice and I recommend this shop if you can’t do it yourself in an apartment.

E6EBCBBA-FD5F-4F41-BF57-E8302A33FF16_1_105_c

![1D086058-C4C3-464C-8BCB-D51D53C4EFA8_1_105_c|525x700](upload://8MX0IvlznomMOoSG70kKG3D3THH.jpeg) ![1D086058-C4C3-464C-8BCB-D51D53C4EFA8_1_105_c|525x700](upload://8MX0IvlznomMOoSG70kKG3D3THH.jpeg)
3 Likes

Wow, Lynn! Those are some seriously impressive “B/A” pics. Glad it worked out so well for you.