Are Meal Delivery Kits Cooking? NYT asks.

I’m glad this works for you! Sounds like a great solution!

I used Hello Fresh last year when caring for a friend who was recovering from surgery. Between dealing with the details of her life/needs, my life/needs, geriatric cats and running her business for her I was taxed mentally and timewise. The meal kit gave her some control in choosing options. Saved me time in planning and shopping. The couple I ate were tasty, healthy and fairly quick to make. They did involve a bit of chopping which could be an issue for someone with hand issues.

I’d consider it again if circumstances demand.

3 Likes

I actually ordered the “dinnerly” meal kit delivery for my good friend and her houseful of people for the week after she had her baby- her not very kitchen saavy mom was able to make the meals and they were so thrilled with it they proceeded to order a few more deliveries. It’s actually from martha stewart inc, and vis a vi a friend of a friend i know their recipe testing is extensive, and prices are lower than a lot of the other options out there.

3 Likes

Incidentally, Blue Apron gives you the ability to receive only vegetarian options, as well as.choose the type of meat you eat.

1 Like

Yes, these are prep kits because delivery does not include a chef :+1:

I think the idea is valuable for portion control, experimenting with unfamiliar cuisines and flavors, time saving and for homebound consumers an option. I know one senior who receives these meals and their home health aid prepares the meals.

The service does result in more trash to dispose of but the service is pretty popular in my area. Those first two meals for free offers were showing up as often as the AOL cd back in the day.

1 Like

All of the packaging goes in household recycle, or can be returned postage paid to the service. (Except for meat packaging, which logically has to be thrown away)

I wonder how many customers use the send back packaging option.

Enough that they have a dedicated page on the site.

We have good recycling where I am, so I haven’t decided which I’ll do.

Of course it’s cooking and only a snob would think otherwise. I’ve never used them and never will as I like to choose my own fresh foods but it’s definitely still cooking in the same way the sous chef at your local 4star is cooking.

Think about it - he/she is provided not only the ingredients and recipes but also the tools AND the space to perform them in.

You’re not gong to try to tell him/her that he/she isn’t cooking, right?

3 Likes

One of the things I like is that it’s something different and tasty…cuts down on the number of nights I’m hi hungry, tired,and bored of my standby recipes.

Skipping this week because of the holiday, but next week’s offerings look downright good.

(And recycling? The kiddo saw the box and pit it put with the regular recycling)