Are IKEA Stores Still a Thing?

The one I go to is in the town centre so very handy for all sorts of folk wanting breakfast. Just opposite the tram station (built on where my old office building was) and the local Lidl.

1 Like

That would be handy.

I am now within a 20 minute walk of the compact downtown location. I might check it out to see if they have lingonberry sauce.
There are some food deals for kids and seniors at the Canadian Ikeas right now.

Yep. If you look up, there are signs showing pass-throughs leading to different zones. If you’re not careful, though, you may find yourself moving further back on El Camino! It’s really a mash-up of an escape room and Chutes and Ladders (or Snakes and Ladders, depending on how old you are and where you grew up).

Mrs. ricepad and I live about 70 miles from two different Ikea stores, so they’re not on our usual shopping rotation. When we do hit one, we remind ourselves that shopping at Ikea is an adventure to be savored, not an ordeal to be endured. Trying to keep that mindset makes it less stressful. It doesn’t always work.

7 Likes

Are you asking whether every IKEA in the world has closed?

2 Likes

It’s almost like a quick google search couldn’t provide any answers to that question.

2 Likes

I thought I must be misunderstanding the question. Because they have a website and everything.

1 Like

Maybe the OP is suffering from post-turkey day boredom?

1 Like

I genuinely get quite excited when I reach the plants and plant pot section. Always bargain house plants - as good as those at the garden centre but half the price. Which reminds me, I need a couple of decorative plant pot covers.

5 Likes

Not really. Like shrimp and eggplant pizza, maybe they exist in some form.

What I was mostly interested in was whether IKEA bucked the trend of downsizing and/or shrinking and/or disappearing, a la Radio Shack, BB&B and countless others.

1 Like

Unlike shrimp and eggplant pizza, it’s pretty easy to just look at Ikea’s website for all the answers you seek. It seemed to me an odd question to crowd source.

6 Likes

You had me by the meatballs. :laughing:

I like them. So there. I also like the room designs, the items that aren’t boring department/furniture store stock and the maze. My coffee table is vintage '87. It’s solid as a rock, just needs a bit of surface refinishing after years of kids and crafts. The bookshelves, bearing a load that Atlas wouldn’t be shrugging at, show no signs of bending. Their lingonberry jam (organic, thank you) is delicious, even as in impulse buy.

Yes, kaleokahu, there is an IKEA, and I’m glad of it.

9 Likes
3 Likes

It was impromptu. Forgive me.

1 Like

Alright. In the spirit of Thanksgiving.

OK, this begets the longer story. On the first IKEA trip, Wahine wanted to buy a certain clip-on light fixture–sorry, the clever Scandie name (Bjorn? Kaandim?) escapes me. It was the spring clamp on kind every US hardware store carries as a useless utility light, just not painted gold and black.

Got the box home, only to discover (a) no bulb included; (b) the lamp socket is not standard in USA; and (c) obtaining a bulb would cost more than the lamp. We did try on our second visit to buy the bulb. They still offered the lamp, just no bulb. The backup plan was to return the damn thing. After waiting through a very long line, the return was disallowed.

Bjorn was junked–where it should’ve gone originally.

I’d carry a small chip on my shoulder from that, too.

I like their kitchenware, especially the wine glasses.

Their lighting department is a disaster. Separate boxes for each component, and each lamp has several components. You can’t tell what goes with what, and there are no posted signs mapping them out. The last time I tried to get lighting I was frustrated and annoyed, and just then a couple walked by, the woman letting out a little “aargh”. “I feel the same way,” I said. “I always want to scream when I’m in Ikea.” We stood there Aaargghh-ing together for a while. I got a lamp somewhere else.

2 Likes

Bedding is (or, at least, was) an issue here. The size of IKEA’s sheets simply don’t (or didnt) match the size of British beds. Always too small - so, you’ve bought the fitted bottom sheet that’s labelled a “double” but it’s too small for your double bed so the corners .“ping” off.

And their blanket covers don’t match their comforters’ size, resulting in a lumpy blanket for our dear guests :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Have you read my friend David Lebovitz’s account of his and Roman’s IKEA trip for L’Apart?

2 Likes