Arcane food-related vocabulary

I thought it might be fun to have a standing thread to expand users’ vocabulary of general English words (rather than names of particular food items).

BLET - v. To overripen to the point of rotting.

POTTLE - n. 64 ounces/half-gallon

GILL - n. 4 ounces (pronounced “jill”)

PINGLE - v. to play around with one’s food

LUBBERWORT - n. food without nutritional value, making one lazy/stupid; junk food

BANT - n. diet v. banting - dieting

BELLYTIMBER - n. food

CRUG - n. food

GLOP - v. to swallow greedily

JUBBE - n. large liquor jug

ACATERY - n. provisions storeroom

COVERSLUT - n. apron

TENTERBELLY - n. glutton, fat person

ZEGEDINE - n. a drinking cup

REELPOT - n. bartender

YEPSEN - n. handful

ALETUDE - n. obesity

BLASHY - adj. diluted/weak, as tea or beer

KEXY - adj. dry, juiceless

I don’t know if I’ll ever feel the same tying on my apron

2 Likes

The root definition of slut was mud or dirt, so in that sense, coverslut has no moral implications.

1 Like

What was the source of this?

It’s a list I’ve compiled, over the years, from various books and articles I’ve read, and from TV shows like QI (and tweets from the QI Elves). When it comes to language, I tend to be a quiddle.

‘Instead of pingling with your bellytimber, please glop your crug and finish your blashy drink in your zegedine.’

2 Likes

Some of these are GREAT words – they’re even fun to say – and deserve to be brought back.

“No more lubberwort for me; I’m banting.”

I like the ones that are more concise than the prevailing equivalencies, e.g., pottle’s two syllables vs. “a half gallon’s” four, or “64 ounces’” five. This would also be useful for texting (if I did that).

With your clear understanding of “pottle,” maybe you can explain the concept of “bushel” to me. Is it a liquid measure or a dry measure? (I think it’s getting to be the right time of day to reach for the jubbe.)

It depends on where you live: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bushel

CRAPULOUS: sick from overindulging in food and/or drink

FLOCCULATE: to form, or cause to form into, lumps

NEPHALISM: teetotalling

and a new favorite, an accidental neologism, as opposed to the above, which are actual entries in legitimate dictionaries…

GRUBBISH: a meal of fast/junk food

“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold