AQUACULTURE articles - Hakai Magazine and The Atlantic: What It Takes to Feed Billions of Farmed Fish Every Day - They’re usually just given ground-up fish. One company is exploring a more sustainable alternative: maggots.

2 Likes

I loved this article, thank you for the link

1 Like

British schoolchildren dig into a lunch of fish sticks in 1974. Since its debut in 1953, the frozen food has proved to be a hit among kids and adults, owing to its palatability, low cost, and convenience. Photo by Graham Wood/Stringer/Getty Images

excerpt:

Surprisingly, fish sticks are fairly sustainable. Today, most contain Alaska pollock, which is largely sourced from well-managed fisheries, says Jack Clarke, a sustainable seafood advocate at the United Kingdom–based Marine Conservation Society. The climate impact of fish sticks is small, too. “I was surprised at how low it was,” says Brandi McKuin, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, Santa Cruz, who recently studied Alaska pollock products. Each kilogram of fish sticks produces about 1.3 kilograms of carbon dioxide, which “rivals the climate impact of tofu,” she says. Beef, by comparison, produces over 100 times that amount of carbon dioxide per kilogram.

3 Likes

I make fish tacos with fish sticks.

4 Likes

I would have said the same thing, until I tried canned salmon from an Alaskan cannery that was better somehow. I’m not sure how they made it better, but it was a WHOLE LOT better.

1 Like

Name? I’ll give them a try.

1 Like

Thanks! You have to buy a lot of it, I see.

Probably- I couldn’t remember the name and had to do a Google search. It’s been a long time since I ordered from them. I think I’ll go look and see if anything strikes my fancy. I thank you for reminding me of VitalChoice.

Hello crisis.
:frowning:

Oh no.

Culture wars arrive and accelerate in my part of the world.

1 Like

The Milagro Beanfield War 2021 edition.

1 Like
2 Likes

spoiler: they saw blue fin tuna in Mexico but didn’t catch any…

2 Likes

Los Angeles Times: Extreme drought water crisis slams Oregon-California line.

1 Like

Wow. I remember that movie.

2 Likes

trolling for salmon outside the Golden Gate Bridge, catches about a 25 pounder.

1 Like