AQUACULTURE articles - Hakai Magazine and The Atlantic: What It Takes to Feed Billions of Farmed Fish Every Day - They’re usually just given ground-up fish. One company is exploring a more sustainable alternative: maggots.

1 Like

I really, really like several different kinds of seaweed. I crave it, in fact

I would have agreed with you until I bought some canned salmon from Vital Choice. I thought it was delicious- nice and salmony instead of cat foody. They’re an online company, you may want to try it out. I’d be interested in your opinion of it.

I’ll keep an eye out for it.

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

recreational crabbing out of Half Moon Bay towards Pacifica, CA -

from YouTube -

Japanese Bluefin Tuna Aquaculture - Tuna Farming and Harvesting - Tuna Processing Factory

Prized for its high fat content, bluefin tuna are perhaps the most prized fish in the ocean. In the modern sushi industry closed-cycle aquaculture may be the key to the species future on menus. In Japan, Kindai University began exploring this possibility in the 1970s by collecting eggs from captive adult fish and artificially inseminating them. They then waited for the eggs to hatch into larvae that they could raise to maturity. Once the larvae became adults and laid eggs, the process would be repeated to produce full-cycle farmed fish.

I had some Arctic char yesterday for the first time. It was farmed in Iceland. But the Monterey Aquarium gave it a best-choice rating because the farms are well inland and they don’t use marine-derived feeds. Very tasty.

5 Likes

Uh Oh

3 Likes

from YouTube -

Salmon is one of the most popular fish in the US, but farming it can cause all kinds of environmental problems. One California startup is growing salmon filets from cells. Could this lab-grown salmon be the future of fish? We went to San Francisco to try and find out.

1 Like

fishing for herring in San Francisco Bay

and catching crab at Ocean Beach in San Francisco using herring as bait at about the 7:30 mark

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/king-county-tore-out-a-levee-near-auburn-now-the-salmon-are-returning/

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like