Apple Street Kitchen, Tinton Falls [NJ]

Drove past this place yesterday, and just checked out their website (link below). The chef was previously at Cafe Mumfords (which I’m unfamiliar with)…just wondering if anyone has been. Looks like breakfast/lunch/catering/classes. ETA that I see Pat Trama is doing a class/event in February…

www.applestreetkitchen.com

1 Like

Haven’t been there yet but Casey Pesce is excellent…he is also the chef/owner of Djeet at the Grove in Shrewsbury.

2 Likes

Having put this post up yesterday, imagine my surprise when Chris Mumford was one of the speakers at the APP Jersey Storyteller’s event in Asbury Park last night. The theme was food, so all of the speakers had food-related stories to share. When Chris mentioned that his former place (closed this summer after 20 years) was on Apple Street in Tinton Falls, my first thought was that Apple Street Kitchen must be what took its place. Am I guessing correctly?

Yes. Actually, the Mumford’s on Apple St. was not his first place. For many years prior, he and his wife Debbie owned a very popular restaurant called (just) Mumford’s, in Long Branch. He was the chef and she did the desserts. His dishes were creative, often with a contemporary Southwestern bent, iirc. Delicious, as were the desserts. A lot of the vegetables he used came from a garden on the property. We had dinner there many times. Still miss it.

3 Likes

Yes, he spoke about having gardens all around his first restaurant; you can tell by the way he spoke about both places that he was truly in the hospitality business, too.

Roz -

You are absolutely correct. The food at the LB place was very good. We went there often. You would have never guessed from looking at the outside how nice a restaurant was on the inside. I miss it. The Apple Street place never quite did it for me though I envy his teaching space now I teach food-related classes.

1 Like

So I was out with my ladies yesterday and it was lunchtime so they brought me to one of their favorite spots. This was my first time there to my understanding it’s a cooking school and restaurant.

Menu is breakfast and lunch from eggs to sandwiches all creative combinations. We ordered one tuna salad sandwich, pork sandwich and chicken burger. Everything was very good and fresh but at $15. for a tuna fish sandwich it should be very good. My only problem was the rye bread had the large seeds which I don’t like.

Nice spot but not cheap!

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try this place, so I’m happy to see you got there. I follow them on IG and when they post classes and menus I always think it seems pricey. I’ll try it eventually…

1 Like

Agree on all counts. We went there recently for lunch. The place smelled of cinnamon French toast. Everybody is friendly and welcoming. My husband had the cobb salad ($16), which he devoured, and I had the Vietnamese noodle bowl ($15). I took home half of mine. Everything was delicious and fresh.

We look forward to trying the place for breakfast.

I had enrolled in a cooking class with Pat Trama. It was canceled/postponed. With the announcement of his new restaurant, we now know why. :grin:

1 Like

You enrolled in the class with Trama there? They have visiting / outside chef’s that come in?

Yes

1 Like