Appetizer ideas that can stretch my dollar (and are company worthy!)

Thanks, GretchenS!! I’ll check out the Epi recipe and will hunt for your family’s pate recipe.

Thank you so much for the recipe links, Savour! Can’t wait to try these out.

If you do savory mini muffins there are tons of options-This annoying “listical” has some great ideas. Make ahead, freeze, defrost day before

If you decide on flatbreads use storebought pizza dough, divide amd stretch thin, bake the day before “naked” with just a bit of olive oil. Prep toppings day before. (Keep simple! A thin layer of pesto plus fresh basil, thin layer of tomato sauce then oregano and parm, another just olive oil and herbs de provence or your favorite herb blend. Broil with toppings just to brown and serve in two bite squares room temp

For the popcorn you can get these mini brown bags, cut short with pinking shears, and line up on a tray

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Kraft-Paper-Bags-pack/dp/B012W5K5Z0

2 Likes

i think you can still edit this and get it down to 6 items. :slight_smile: i very much dislike dips at big parties so if it were me i’d lose the spinach dip.

I think I would edit out the spinach-artichoke dip, and probably the chicken liver mousse. Chicken livers are such a great skewer food that if you think there are enough liver lovers at your party, I might go for chicken livers skwered with something crunchy (water chestnuts?) and a bit of bacon.

Also, do you really need to make apple sausage balls as opposed to cooking up small bites of sausage and serving them on the same toothpick with an apple chunk? Or maybe this recipe would be easy:

that’s a lot of pieces to assemble and skewer during the party. if using apple chunks, they would need to be acidulated in advance so they don’t brown. the balls can be made ahead, frozen and just reheated, then served in a bowl or on a platter.

1 Like

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/game-day-entertaining/25-finger-foods-that-deserve-a-high-five/ss-BBivcTK

Those are some expensive bags! :grin:

3 Likes

HA!! No shit!
Too funny…
They’re $9.49 on the link!

1 Like

http://www.target.com/p/up-up-lunch-bags-standard-100-ct/-/A-13971846

but how will the op line up 50 little bags in a small space anyway?

1 Like

As crazy as it sounds, a salty Ritz cracker with a 1/4 inch thick slice of browned Kielbasy followed by a slice of fresh deli pickle & a little blob of mustard is outstanding & very reasonable.

6 Likes

I’m waiting for dinner and that made my salivary glands do a little dance :slight_smile:

Xmas/Chanukah season, or Thanksgiving? The color schemes involved would dictate my choices among the many options…

Xmas/Chanukah season

If you are really shy of deviled eggs, blend eggs with a little mayo, cream, mustard powder, pepper, paprika, and finely grated onion, then bake as mini-quiches using pie dough pressed into mini-muffin pans. These can be made ahead, served room temp or gently rewarmed.

For Christmasy colors, dampen rice paper sheets, lay strips of red and green bell pepper, and scallion or sweet onion on them, plus a strip of cheese or turkey, and a squirt of your choice of creamy salad dressing. Roll up like a burrito. If small, serve these spring rolls whole; otherwise, cut in half or into pinwheels. Cucumber instead, if the green peppers are bitter.

2 Likes

I have to laugh their suggestion of devilled quail eggs!

1 Like

i have made them but would never consider them for a group this size, lol. even regular eggs are too fiddly for this many people.

2 Likes