Aperol Spritz & Pomme Frites?

In the 60 odd years of my existence that I’ve used & understand White Trash means it’s a descriptive phrase to describe a behavior not necessarily limited to economic or cultural differences. No matter the color of one’s skin Take my definition as how I used it
Not looking for cultural references in a food forum
Bennie loosely refers to people who are not local to the NJ shore

1 Like

Oh, so now we’re attacking other members’ intellectual capacities with ad hominems.

Classy. Jersey, right?

(post deleted by author)

Maybe it’s you. Again, you are a MODERATOR here? Perhaps be civil in your engagements and don’t condescend to other members participating.

Just as a general point on the topic of “white trash”. Doing a quick search there are 34 threads that contain that phrase when I do a quick search. Only 1 of which seemed to have been locked or moderated. Based on this I feel my point of this not being made towards any specific person(s) I fail to see how this needs to be removed. Should all of these threads be removed?

3 Likes

Talk about harboring a grudge.

2 Likes

huh?

my bad, I confused one person attacking me with another :joy:

‘Bennies’ is a generic term that iirc came about in the early 1920s to describe people who took the train down from northern NJ to the Jersey shore towns. The stops were:
Bayonne
Elizabeth
Newark
(BEN pluralized came to be Bennies)

The other term for visitors to the Shore (any town from what I understand) was Shoobies, because people used to pack their lunches in shoe boxes. Neither is considered derogatory; it just describes tourists/day-trippers. And I’m personally VERY happy it’s #LocalSummer here!

I’m betting @gcaggiano could enlighten us even more…

4 Likes

Yeah but where do you get your Aperol Spritz and French Fries said the gentleman from NJ ?

“Gentleman” (sic) don’t refer to others as “white trash” or “bennies.”

Wait until these people hear about Keansburg

5 Likes

Bennies isn’t a derogatory term.

3 Likes

If you didn’t know now you know, thanks. The question remains where do you get your Aperol Spritz & Pomme Frites?

“Bennies” refers to $100 bills, aka “Ben Franklins” (the statesman whose picture is on the $100 bill). Flashy Jersey shore tourists carried rolls of them back in the days before debit cards and such. It was most definitely a derogatory term during my formative years on the Jersey shore; whether it still is, I cannot say.

And the reason “white trash” is problematic is a bit complicated. I’ll let the good folks at Code Switch lay it out for those who want an in-depth discussion. But in short, modifying “trash” with “white” implies that “trash” (without a modifier) applies only to non-white people.

3 Likes

I’m really trying to figure out where my favorite fries are these days… I had some excellent ones at McCann’s in Belmar recently, but that’s not a place where I think you can get an Aperol spritz! :rofl:

One thing I’ve learned is that if I ask for the fries a little on the well-done side (anywhere) that generally makes them better. Swim Crush on the AP boardwalk has crinkle fries with Old Bay (I think) on them… Those fries were yummy! And they do make an AS…

I’m not a fan of shoestring fries, but maybe Pascal and Sabine?.

3 Likes

He asked what my interpretation was and I said what it was.
Never heard of your argument about Bennies but I’m not here to argue about semantics. The moderators haven’t found anything wrong with my post.
The question remains where do you get your Aperol Spritz & Pomme Frites
Not that I really care anymore.
Keyboard warriors are at play on this thread & I’m losing interest in what this thread has become.

Yes I remember having them at Pascal and Sabine EXCELLENT :+1:

1 Like

I believe that you used the term without considering that it can have a racist connotation (although obviously you meant it as an insult). And I first learned the term Bennie and its definition in the mid-70s. Using it to describe tourists from other parts of NJ sounds fishy to me, since the tourists we were deriding were mostly from NYC and Philadelphia.

I don’t drink Aperol. I tried it once. It was not for me.

FYI not meant as a racist term, hate being judged for using colloquial terms
Such a big deal being made of my descriptive phrasing.
Glad people here aren’t my editors Peace brother & try Campari & soda with a lemon twist.