AP documents grueling conditions in Indian shrimp industry that report calls...

Do you know where your shrimp come from?

5 Likes

I have a fishmonger I trust, and otherwise purchase shrimp that are at least BAP certified.

1 Like

What do you think about those tiger shrimp from Aldi that someone posted on the Aldi thread? I’m going to Columbus for a few weeks and there’s an Aldi near my mother’s house. I will buy bread and chocolate bars, look at the cheese and probably olive oil. Would you buy the shrimp? thanks…

2 Likes

Im a real snob about it…I will only buy Florida Gulf shrimp and am fortunate enough to be able to buy it right at the dock.

The Florida shrimp industry is worth supporting.

My sister used to work for a major seafood packing house and her stories of the foreign packing houses put me off it for life.

1 Like

Yeah - we live on Cape Cod and are spoiled with fresh local fish and shellfish. We can sometimes get tiny Maine shrimp but otherwise, shrimp aren’t local for us. We feast on them when we go to Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas - and we have bought them at the docks down there. Sometimes we can find Gulf shrimp in our seafood markets, but not often. And crab isn’t really local here, we buy it in containers from our fish market and it’s from Maryland.

3 Likes

I made several posts about them in the Aldi thread. I am a huge fan. They are some of the best quality shrimp I have had: texture-wise better than some wild gulf shrimp I’ve purchased, flavorful, plump and snappy.

2 Likes

Thanks - hoping to find them in Columbus next week. There are 2 Aldi’s I can check. My mother loves shrimp, too.

2 Likes

This caused me to look up Argentine red shrimp, which I get at Trader Joe’s. Seafood Watch says “avoid”, because they are fished using bottom trawler nets. Dammit.

https://www.seafoodwatch.org/recommendation/shrimp/argentine-red-shrimp-34629

There’s no mention of fishing methods on the TJ’s package.

2 Likes

I dont buy Argentinian reds because I just don’t like them

2 Likes

Same here, although I often feel like the only one who isn’t so enamored.

2 Likes

It’s not just me, then.

2 Likes

Limited availability, but TransparentSea offers SoCal (Los Angeles and Orange counties residents, plus wholesale for all of California) “Climate Conscious Shrimp”:

I have a whole bag of those, but haven’t tried them. Forgot where I bought them.

(post deleted by author)

We like them a lot. Unless the other grocer has the same size (I think they’re U14) that’s what I get when serving wholes.

2 Likes