Anyone with own website?

I think on Cpanel it’s easier than on AWS or GCP but a huge website would need hours or even days. I don’t think in-server back ups are of any use when a serious threat comes up. Getting a cold storage is really expensive.

Your chocolate looks familiar to me. Is it possible that bloomsbury in Stevenson Wa is selling them. That or Newseasons Market? Very pretty!

1 Like

Thank you!

I did sell to New Seasons at Christmas 2019, they stocked my chocolate snowflake globes at 10 of their PDX area stores. Unfortunately they have left the Seattle area.

1 Like

used mirror tech for some - works just peachy keen until at attacked / corrupted site is mirrored as garbage…

for highly critical apps, I think the best approach is a web-facing server with a totally locked down back end and all transmits from the face to the back end highly checked for ‘nasty stuff’

I mean no offence, HappyOnion, but I genuinely have not got a clue what your post means. I understand the individual words, of course, but just not the way you joined them together. :grinning:

I have the same issue when golfers write about golf. Or, indeed, when anyone has tried to explain American football to me.

2 Likes

not actually important for the hobby crowd.

loosely…to “mirror” a site/machine/database/whatever means keeping an exact copy on a separate hard drive or computer. the the primary machine drops dead, you can continue by switching to the mirrored data. data is 'copied/mirrored every second/minutes/hours as the situation dictates.

the problem is . . . . bad corrupted/hacked data on the primary is immediately copied/mirrored . . . so now you have two batches of bad data.

using a front-end server, the back-end cannot be “attacked” directly - the back-end will only talk/communicate with one specific machine. so if the front is hacked, the back-end will not ‘invalid/bad’ data, sounds the alarm, and the ‘historic’ data remains unaffected…

3 Likes

1984 or 1994? The internet wasn’t widely available until the late '80s, and the Web came around in 1990.

In my experience mirroring is quite different than back ups and saves in that mirroring and journaling typically happens in real time on production data. Where partial or complete back ups and saves can be scheduled. Partial saves or complete

A typical website @Harters seemed to describe needn’t the mirroring expense but would have benefited from periodic saves.

Yeah I wanted to ask but… I thought maybe he was involved in the early networking in the university level. To the best of my knowledge internet came public in around 1991. Or maybe he meant 1994.

My site was deleted for no reason, despite having daily backups. I’m not sure they really backed up although they said they do.

the “beginning” of the internet really depends on the definition used…

computers ‘talked’ to each other way back - 60-70’s . . . but it was the adoption of TCP/IP (1983) that permitted any computer to talk to any other computer.

however, the links were a closed system - such as ComuServe - one could only talk to their system - which had links to stuff like Sabre, could send faxes, etc. that started with dial up service in 1979.
in 1989 CIS connected users to the internet for email purposes
in 1995 CIS offered “open access” to the web - essentially turning itself into an ISP

the first “web browsers” appeared in the early 1990 - Nexus was one I recall.
they were obviously of little use until the ability to connect to the web expanded beyond the military / educational / research users.

when the internet was “invented” is an active debate . . . .

I remember Yahoo, Excite, and Lycos in the 90s. They were the leading search engines.
A few years ago I heard one of the worst business decisions ever is connected to search engines.
One day, 2 university students visited Excite CEO George Bell and offered him a new search engine they created, for 1 million dollars. Not only did Bell disagree, later he also fired Vinod Khosla for negotiating the deal for 750,000 dollars. The 2 students were Sergey Brin and Larry Page. You know what the search engine is. :smiley:
Today, Excite is not even heard of.

This is the side I’m on, with ARPAnet guy.

https://www.internethalloffame.org/inductees/jcr-licklider

1 Like

that is one thought to the “internet invention”
he was a visionary.

met up with an old boss at a trade show, who told me I was “simply ten years ahead of my time.” I was ‘managing’ a Novell 1.x network under W95 back then…

keep in mind, warp speed has been proposed / imagined.
it has not been invented.

Wait, I’m confused! Wasn’t it Al Gore who invented the internet? :rofl::joy::rofl:
Not that I dislike old Al…

2 Likes