Anyone tried IF (Intermittent Fasting)?

Holy cow those are some results Eli! Congratulations.

I think at the end of the day what matters is results. Some people say you should have a lot of small meals, others say that is bunk and that fasting gives you other benefits. I am personally on the fasting side of the science, but do it with full knowledge that 99.9% of people giving diet advice don’t actually know the true science behind any of this.

Speaking of results, I’m 5’8 and have been slightly overweight for almost 20 years now. As I mentioned above, I’ve been struggling to break below 165 (Crossover of overweight to normal BMI for me) for some time now. Today I clocked in at 164! I hope to get to 150 by the summer so I can show off my “bikini body.” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I just wanted to add one more thing with regard to fasting. Science aside, I personally feel like as humans, we should experience hunger. Most animals experience real hunger from time to time, and I found it really unnatural that we go our entire lives not knowing what real hunger is, and treating it like it’s some kind of devastating life threatening condition. I mean essentially every generation of humans prior to the past 40 years or so has lived with and faced down hunger and survived, and I think it’s really valuable to experience it and understand it. And going back to the science of things, my gut and brain tell me that we must have evolved to work alongside hunger, not despite it.

3 Likes

Interesting perspective. I no longer think of IF as going hungry. I think of it as resting my gastro track. Like doing yoga and swimming for an hour rests my mind.

1 Like

Yes there’s something almost spiritual about sitting with hunger. Like meditation for the bowels. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Joon! There is no one right way to diet. The important thing is that you follow a regimen that works for you, and that you can continue to follow it on a regular basis, and not do something that you won’t be able to maintain, or are miserable trying to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s fantastic progress. I was doing the same high incline / low speed thing on the treadmill for quite a while. It started messing with my lower back though.

1 Like

Thanks @ChristinaM ! Yes, in the beginning my back and knees were bothering me from the high incline, but I’ve grown a tolerance to it. I just apply an ice pack and take some advil after I walk when it gets too painful.

Northjersey.com has an interview with Blake Horton, founder of the Blake Diet and how to enjoy carbs and life with intermittent fasting. He has been on Dr. Oz and many other shows and publications. I think @corvette_johnny and @joonjoon would enjoy that humongous burrito in his video if they could still lose weight :smile: He also has his own website where he charges for his advice and recipes.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/entertainment/2019/04/23/intermittent-fasting-blake-horton-the-blake-diet-paramus-nj-instagram-blake-201/3003509002/

1 Like

My skinny jeans and shirts fit! Not the best fit ever, but they button :joy:

8 Likes

Woohoo!! That’s encouraging!! Keep that up!!

2 Likes

I congratulate and join in your celebration of these great weight losses and body renewals. But I really caution about taxing our systems, organs, with diets that mandate certain food categories, excluding others.

Best, while you’re young, and that is a very loose concept, adopt a lifestyle of moderation. Eat and ENJOY all of the foods you love, but in reasonable quantities. Live life to the fullest every day, and/but with a medium sized plate. Your body will thank you as will your mirror.

4 Likes

That’s been my philosophy and it’s worked but there are some physiological benefits to fasting, so I’ve heard

My husband and I have been using IF for a little over a year. We fast during the day from Monday to Friday, and then eat whatever we want for dinner. This works for me because I don’t feel deprived since I can cook whatever I want (within reason, of course) for dinner. We both have lost more than 20 lbs., which is pretty good for me since I’m about 5’2" and it’s a significant percentage of my body weight.

We take weekends off and go out to brunch every Saturday morning. This time of year is a little tough since we have vacations, birthdays, anniversaries and company and end up not fasting a day or two of the week, but when fall comes around we get right back into the routine. I think it helps us keep our discipline since we are doing this together. I know this isn’t for everyone, but it works for us.

5 Likes

Congratulations!!! That’s wonderful - I can only imagine how good it feels to put them on!

1 Like

Congrats! I remember when this convo had just started and victory has to feel great!

This “trend” was on the morning news today, where they were saying this is more a lifestyle change / benefit rather than a fad diet. Interesting…

1 Like

Thank you! Yep - I credit most progress to much-increased exercise. It’s so great to fit into my clothes again.

2 Likes

It’s really not new or a fad, given that fasting is deeply embedded into many cultures for health reasons, under the guise of religion.

When I tried a version of IF, I realized it actually fit much better with my natural hunger pattern, and over just a few weeks it noticeably shrunk my appetite, and improved my hunger signals.

Of course there is trendiness and faddishness imposed on everything to make it a business, so it is with fasting.

Sorry, I may be reacting to the turmeric and ginger “shots” I just saw at TJ - turmeric and “golden” everything is as much a new fad as fasting is - in that it’s not, just new in the west.

But the more people that benefit, the better, so I’m the end it’s all good if it gets the word out.

3 Likes

IF was introduced to me by my doctor many years ago. Then, it was monitored to get me started and in the right program for my body size and lifestyle. More and more diet plans started adding IF into their programs creating what appears to be a fashion diet. For instance, Two of my yoga classes discuss IF as a viable part of yoga practice. Pick up a book on IF from 1970’s and one just published and you’ll see a diff dialogue.