Any words you dislike to use when talking about food ?

My parents had a bar. The most popular items were hamburgers and cheesesteaks. There was always a little or big pile of chopped onions that had been fried waiting on the cool side of the large griddle atop the gas stove. I think it is funny that now the fried onions might be given a fancy name.

I have been called a foodie for many years, always said with contempt. These same people mostly eat fast food or bake frozen supermarket brand pizza. I like fast food once in awhile, mostly Popeyes but I really like to cook from scratch. Yeah I hate foodie.

1 Like

What a great thread. Thank you so much. I am keeping a close eye on “glorious”. Writers tend to copy each other and my friend from another group tells me they are being lazy.

1 Like

I like the way you think :cowboy_hat_face:

EVOO. It’s such baby talk

2 Likes

Oooh, nestled, that’s even better. And by better I mean worse. That alone is worth 5 bucks. Where do I send the money?

1 Like

Nestled. How would you even use that in a sentence about food . ? Prawns nestled in a comfy blanket of wakame. You win

1 Like

I once saw a game show and the category was food. The contestant gushed, “oh, good, I am such a foodie!”

But I have never seen the corollary: a theologian who gushes over The Bible category or a sportscaster who brags about their precious Sports category or a doctor who proclaims excitement over the Anatomy category. “Oh good, I am a biologist.” They just answer the damn questions.

Of course the foodie got it wrong.

1 Like

Slap ya mamma is actually a cajun spice blend. Do you also dislike Siracha, Sambal Oelek, Tabasco, Tony’s Creole Seasoning?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=slap+ya+mama&ref=nb_sb_noss

Been meaning to try that one. Okay partly because of these sensitive times. Is it good? The really “offensive” hot sauce is named Shit The Bed I think. But then I used to love going to the renaissance faire just to see the fourteen year old boy who was helping his dad out at a food place and wearing a “will work for beer” t shirt. The Ren Fair had many more “inappropriate” fun things.

1 Like

Heh. Food and drink seems to bring out the pretensiousness

1 Like

What about boigah? Unfortunately this name for a hamburger is used in RL too.

I have no idea if it is good. I don’t like the name but that’s what someone chose to call it. And if someone made something with it I would want to know.

There are desserts that have inapproriate names like “Sex on the Beach” which I don’t think suits the dessert at all probably because I’m not a fan.

1 Like

I am trying to tread lightly in this group. Love it here but still testing the waters. My parents owned a dive bar with their business partner who was like a second father to me. Ahem. Some of those drink names, plus a few made up ones. Ulp. Tiptoes away quietly. I don’t want to offend anyone.

1 Like

Super taster. People who call themselves super tasters don’t know what this term actually means. It would be super to be a super taster. Like a super power. It does mean that you have more taste buds on your tongue so that you are more acutely aware of tastes. So who wouldn’t want to be a super taster then? People who actually enjoy eating food. Super tasters are so sensitive to flavors they avoid many categories of food as they are overwhelming in taste. Many things that most of us eat are too bitter or too strong. My mother in law was a super taster. She avoided anything strong flavored and when she said something was bland, that was a compliment from her as she could eat it without the taste overpowering everything. My father in law on the other hand was in the other 25% of the population that have below average taste buds so that everything tasted the same to him and he didn’t get the point of spending lots of money on fancy meals. They were well suited actually to eat together. MIL picked where they would go and FIL was always fine with whatever the food was.

2 Likes

Whole grain popcorn- that cracks me up.

2 Likes

In the UK, polite slang for that would be to trump.

That delights me, an American, to no end, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

My males have their own slang for sandwiches. My grown son calls it a ‘sangwich’, and DH calls it a ‘sandwedge’. And he’s not even a golfer.
My son also heard a friend’s little sister call a spatula a ‘spasticle’, which he thought was hilarious and has used ever since.

1 Like

I occasionally tell people that I’ve been a foodie since the '70s. I dislike the term, but I think it points out that my interest in food goes way back.
And being somewhat overweight, I have never and will never refer to myself as a chowhound. I wouldn’t even if I was actually underweight.
I wish somebody would come up with a good replacement for “foodie”

Epicurean to replace Foodie?

1 Like