Any words you dislike to use when talking about food ?

In the Great Lakes region, Large and Small Mouth Bass are a game fish. I honestly have never seen either of these species on a restaurant menu.

Sando is even worse.

5 Likes

The term always seems to be a self proclamation which makes it even worse. Like stating that you are an artist. Just tell me what you are eating and I’ll decide if you are a “foodie” or not.

3 Likes

So true!

I always proclaim myself as a foody. It’s a word that’s readily understood by folk. Not always totally accurately understood but near enough.

2 Likes

Ditto on sammie, which seems to be more a Jersey thing.

5 Likes

Agreed, but I’ll give the phrase “Ham Sammie” a pass because it rhymes.

2 Likes

I eventually resigned myself to it as the best single word description among a host of much worse options (not by any means excluding “chowhound”<snicker>), usually adding “more or less” and a mild eyeroll or shrug to minimize the cutesy factor. If it weren’t for its frequent association with being a “trendster”, I’d probably have welcomed it as being more representative of my actual food-related interests than the earlier options like “gourmet/gourmand” or “being interested in ‘gourmet cooking’” etc. (Outside of academia, nothing produces a glazed look on a listener’s face faster than reeling off a list of the “academic” aspects of producing, cooking, and eating food that are what’ve always been the main draw for me…:wink:)

1 Like

Yum. Yummy. Unless you are under age 10.
Delish
“To die for”
Sammie
Orgasmic
Gorgeous. Even if you are British.
Foodie - please.

Awesome. Even if you are American.

6 Likes

In addition to many of the terms already listed (most especially the babytalk ones like “nom nom” and “sammy”), I can’t stand stupid lazy rhymes like “creamiest, dreamiest” or “crunchy, munchy” or “sweet treat.” Food52 is a serial offender, and they’re also on my shitlist for never mentioning dill without also calling it “feathery.” Is there another kind of dill? Furry dill? Scaly dill?

4 Likes

I release all bass too. I’m just amazed perch fetch so much money there.

That, I can’t explain. Might be that any great eating fish is pricey.

That’s good to a point. Texas Parks and Wildlife biologists, some of the best around, say it’s good to take some slot fish to keep predation of the forage fish at an acceptable level, reducing stunting of game and forage fish.

Twenty years or so ago I fished my Uncle’s small pond, think 75x100 yards, but an amazing fishery. Five minutes after I got there I caught a 3 pound bass and I offered to throw it back but my 80 year old Uncle insisted I keep it so I did and three more like it.

Nothing was ever thrown back, everything was eaten. It wasn’t heavily fished, but I fished since I was a kid and am convinced harvesting bass, such at the 7 pounder my Father caught on a Creepy Crawler, an 8 pound channel cat another Uncle caught, crappie and large sunfish, made it special.

I’m a saltwater guy and not much of a bass fisherman but I wanted to fish the pond.

For the record guys the fish were caught on a 1/2 oz. red Rat-L-Trap.

I got a tip from an outdoors radio show that bass liked to feed on crawfish in the spring and that was the lure of choice. My uncle was throwing a plastic worm and couldn’t believe it when I pulled that thing out and even more amazed when I reeled in a bass on the first cast.

The moral is don’t feel afraid to keep a few for dinner.

3 Likes

fetid, rancid, decomposed … :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

… durian, vegan, mechanically separated … :wink:

I worked with a woman who said this. I’d cringe every time. It is such a ridiculous word.

5 Likes

To differentiate it from the fish “hand selected” from the washed up seaweed along the shoreline?
:wink:

7 Likes

The mental picture that comment prompted in me, almost made me spit up my Martini! :flushed:

3 Likes

artificially flavored