Any words you dislike to use when talking about food ?

Unless it is coming from the “real” cookie monster, Nom nom nom. On second thought, not even the cookie monster should be taken seriously if he were to put that into writing.

9 Likes

Purveyor. I guess you use this word when you want people to think that everywhere you shop is fancy.

Frequent. As in, the Mexican place that we frequent. This verb seems so pointless and I can’t remember ever hearing it spoken out loud. Then someone will write “we don’t frequent it very frequently” or something and sound super smart.

Artisanal. This doesn’t mean what anyone thinks it does and just sounds pretentious.

4 Likes

Yes, yes, yes. Especially when they say something like what restaurant do,you frequent a lot!!!

1 Like

I don’t get it, caramelized is a real word with specific meaning?

I hate to read something is “to die for.”

7 Likes

Now that made me laugh! To die for…

1 Like

Steer well clear of Tripadvisor reviews, then.

It’s pretty much the classic phrase of everything that is wrong and useless with Tripadvisor restaurant reviews. I mean, why should I take the slightest notice of some unknown fuckwit who cannot be bothered to tell the readers what they ate, only saying the dessert was “to die for”.

4 Likes

Right. It sets my teeth on edge.

1 Like

Wow, that is a ton of money for perch. Are these simply yellow perch? I catch them here in NJ as bycatch while fishing for bass. I always throw them back.

How about “wild caught?” If the protein isn’t labeled farm raised is this neccessary?

Here is a question, how about bluefin tuna in Japan that they capture and then raise in a pen? Technically they were wild and then stuck in a death chamber. So do they label those as farm raised or can they call them wild since they were born free?

2 Likes

OMG yes, and any strange derivative of sandwich like sando, sammie, 'wich… I admit to finding sando a little more irrationally irritating.

And more recently the terms “whole grain”, usually used in the most inane way and on something that is not even remotely healthy or somehow beneficial from being true whole grain goodness. For example, describing popcorn as “whole grain” :roll_eyes:

I also hate the terms “super-food” and “anti-oxidants”. Super-food to me is just a precursor to overhyped health benefits that most people will never see. Anti-oxidant as a scientific term is fine, but it is sooo overused in discussions of health food today that I am quite certain most of the time writers adding this into health food articles are not even sure what health benefit they are describing.

Looking back I guess it’s the overuse of health food terms that grates on me!

7 Likes

Foodie.

There. I said it. :unamused:

Particularly: “my two year old foodie daughter/son…”

“I will be in town with four big foodies. One don’t eat beef, one don’t eat veggies, one hates ethnic, etc, etc… other than those parameters, open to EVERYTHING!! Thanks in advance!”

14 Likes

sinful

5 Likes

Yes! also decadent!

1 Like

Oh , I cringe on that one .

The same is true with 14.99 Red Snapper.

3 Likes

You beat me to it.

1 Like

Nauseous, regurgitation, stomach pump and e-coli spring to mind.

2 Likes

Uncontrollable flatulence.

Hahah… all of the above. When I hear “foodie” in my head it’s “foodiot”.

“Moreish”, “clean”, “superfood”, “moderation”.

:astonished:

In the UK, polite slang for that would be to trump.

1 Like