Any suggestions for classic greek food in the Cyclades?

greek
greece
athens
cyclades

(Ziv) #1

I will travel for good food and a view worth taking a picture of. I am going to spend 3 days in Athens and then 3 weeks hitting 4 or 5 islands in the Cyclades. I like locally owned, small cafes that are priced low enough that I am happy to keep coming back. Lunch entrees under 10 Euros and dinner entrees under 15 Euros are my aim, though I will go over that price for seafood or a really good dish.
I am thinking that I will start by traveling to Syros where I want to visit Laoutari and then on to Kastri. I figure I will spend 2 or 3 days in and around Ermoupoli, then get the ferry to Paros because there is a place in Naousa I want to visit called Itria and Mylos Traditional Grill in Marpissa looks good, as well. Then I will probably visit Naxos for Delfinaki, but I am wide open for suggestions for good food and vistas worth seeing. After that I want to hit 2 smaller islands, again looking for vistas and feasts. I would like to go to smaller islands more, but the cafes that are open in February tend to be on the larger islands. I think that the cafes I named will be open, but I can’t read Greek and may be disappointed a time or two.
Any advice on favorite cafes or walks would be greatly appreciated! I don’t leave for 5 weeks so I am just beginning to plan my itinerary. I will post here with my favorites and not so favorites starting mid-February.

Sorry that you get no help here. Hope you will have some great meals.

Will be looking forward too see your adventures.

(Ziv) #3

No worries, naf! It is a relatively specific area to ask for advice on, so I wasn’t too surprised to not get a lot of responses. I fly into Athens on the 11th so I will post my hits and misses so that there will be some reviews and pictures for the next traveler. I have a couple Greek colleagues and I use TripAdvisor as well, so I am soaking up info from whatever source I can find!

Bear in mind that Tripadvisor is NOT a good resource anymore. Many of the “top” places are simply tourist traps. Beware.

(Ziv) #5

I have been in Athens a little over 24 hours and really like the food scene! I have hit a place that was recommended to me by a friend and got a few off of Google dot maps and/or Tripadvisor.
My favorite was Montakiou at Stadiou 30, fresh baguette type bread with super fresh fillings. I got the Keffalonia, just an excellent sandwich and the people were super cool. I also got a double cappucino and the total bill was around 8 or 9€. Great atmosphere and very good food.
I had roast lamb with potatoes and a side of olives and pita at Liondi on Makrygianni St near the Acropolis Metro stop. Manuel greeted me as I was reading the menu streetside, the chef came out to chat about food and what was fresh, the waitress was a sweetheart, my neighboring table struck up a conversation, the lamb was outstanding, fall of the bone tender, the olives were just right, the pita was fresh out of the oven, the Vergina beer was served in an icey mug, just a really good meal. My neighbors had the moussaka and it looked fresh and really tasty. The waitress brought me a complimentary slice of lemon cake that was lightly dusted with powdered sugar. I am not a desert person but this was a really good cake, you could taste the real lemons in it. Around 26€ if memory serves.
Atitamos was really good too, though I probably walked there through a less than desirable neighborhood. It is at Solonos and Kapidistrou. Great outdoor eating area, waiter and bus girl were cool, got the Plevrota Mushroom app and the bream. Both were pretty good. The waiter offered me a free desert and I said thanks, but I don’t eat sweets, which was a bit of a fib. So he brought me a small glass of liqueur that was outstanding. Nice place. 19€ wasn’t bad, considering how large the bream was.
Finally, my first day in Athens I was starving and was wandering around Monastiriki, some of the places looked expensive and some touristy, other touristy and bad, so I walked into a touristy place that I had heard about on Tripadvisor. Waiter was cool, the Mythos came with a cold glass, I ordered Moussaka and it was fairly good but not great. It was not served fresh, I can’t think of the name for a made dish in Greek but I think moussaka is usually prepared in advance and hotted up when the customer arrives. I am cool with that but this dish was a bit dried out on the bottom, though it was still tasty. Not a bad meal for just 15€ but with all the really good places I visited, I might not go back.

(Ziv) #6

Just found a place called Το Στεκι της Αγορας, which translates as The Shopping Steak or The Steak of the Market. It is just a block south of the Central Athens Market, which is pretty cool as well. The Shopping Steak is a great place, host was welcoming and allowed me to order a salad and two half the regular size main dishes. If I had known how large the Greek salad was, I wouldn’t have ordered two, but it was worth it.
The Greek salad was fresh and had the usual suspects, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives, capers and a huge chunk of feta cheese on top all covered by a Greek salad dressing. Really good. I ordered the meatballs with rice and the stuffed cabbage leaves. Both were really good and in hindsight, both used a fairly similar meat preparation, so I should have ordered something else. But both were really good and the half loaf of crusty bread that came with them was a treat. Just 12.50€ and it is a bargain at that price.
And I can’t edit the above paragraph for some reason, but Montakiou cost me just 6,90€ for that big sandwich and a double cappucino! Another great meal and a bargain to boot!

Add images

Thanks for sharing. I love food in Greece. Affordable and healthy.

Thanks for the write up. Looking forward for more adventures.

Hope you are having fun! I was in Greece last fall. Limited by the usual cruise ports, but with good personal guides. I’ll look through my pics to see if I have reccommendations.

Nothing too helpful, I’m afraid. These pictures have a few clues to their location, and they have location tags I might be able to add, but the pictures are of “typical” things we ate there.
Mikanos?

Athens

The one in Rhodes was particularly memorable, although that dish with the pasta was too heavy on the pasta.

Great wine tasting at this place “Oia and Thera”

Good mussels that stop too.

And cheese!

Love Greece, its people, and its food. I can give you some suggestions for Paros. Not sure about other islands.

Sadly, most restaurants on the caldera side have become total tourist traps. To have great food, one needs to venture out to the less popular spots on the island.

(Ziv) #11

Shrinkrap and DD, thanks for your posts and info! I have finally gotten to the islands, spent 3 days on Syros and couldn’t post due to the high winds (?) messing up my hosts wifi. The best food was at Laoutari Kafenio. I visited early the second day I was there and the bar was open but the cook hadn’t gotten there yet so I asked for a tea and was chilling. The bar tender asked if I wanted something simple and I said that if it wasn’t a bother, sure. He said he made good “Greek Toast”, kind of like French toast but better. So I said it sounded great. He took out a loaf of farmers bread with seeds and stuff on it, and cut two thick slices, put some olive oil in a pan and fried them up with some sort of ham, thin sliced tomatoes and some sort of white cheese and a bit of oregano and maybe some rosemary or thyme. Delicious! I went back a day later and the cook was there so I ordered one of the specials of the day, a kind of made dish that looks like moussaka but instead of potato on top it had the same crust as spanakopita does. It was really good too, tho a bit salty.
I also hit Mikpaki Tavernia a block down from there and had the sausage platter. Really good but too much of a good thing. 3 different types of sausage with pita on the side. Definitely a locals hangout, the highlight of the place was the backgammon board and the old guys were telling the players what they were doing wrong.
Finally, I also hit Diogenes Hotel’s cafe for a late breakfast early lunch of a Greek Salad. Pretty good but not great. Cool hotel, relatively good service for a quiet time of the year.
So Laoutari is definitely a keeper and Mikpaki is good too in Ermoupoli.

Add images