Any sopressata fans here? [NJ]

Do you think hot sopress would be good on a burger?

Kinda like pork roll on a burger, but better?

You know, I am thinking about making this my motto, kinda like “Dieu et Mon Droit”.

What do you think?

Darn. LAST NIGHT I pulled 2 slices from the freezer (leftovers are kept for just such an emergency)…

Wait are you telling me there’s a place in AH that makes their own sop? Sign me up!!

Yes sir! John is an artist. He has been hand crafting sopressata for decades in Sicily and is an amazing guy to talk to. He will talk sopressata forever if you engage him…great guy and a truly compassionate proprietor. I talk to him about spices, curing, aging, and the wine he uses in his recipes. Fun stuff. He has sweet and hot.

He will shave you off a few slices to test and you will be hooked. This stuff blows away anything around here imo. AtL has a few good dishes. You could do a food crawl in this small town. Lmk

I’d pass. I love the texture of soppressata so I’d rather just eat it plain. Now pork roll, that rocks on a burger!

Only if it’s cooked to a shattering crisp! Not sure how it would function if it was uncooked. Might cause biteability issues.

Have you tried Dolce & Clemente in Robbinsville? Good stuff all around. A lot of Brooklyn transplants love their food, so you know it is good. Italian bread is one of the best too.

@joonjoon

Some of John’s work taken tonight …yummy!

Sadly, Gianni’s is not making homemade soppressata any longer. The machine is broken and it’s difficult to find parts, the counterperson tells me.

Question for sporessata experts here…

How can you tell the difference between sopressat and salami?

I’m pretty sure sopresatta is just a type of salami. It is hard and the fat chunks arent totally ground up like traditional salami.

I think it is like the porter/stout relationship and the whisky/scotch/bourbon one too. They are all the same thing but a little different. Anyway, that’s my shitty two cent answer.

@fershore I wonder why he quit. It doesn’t seem right that a machine can’t be fixed, or he can’t buy a new one.