Any Nutella fans, has anyone noticed a difference?

She definitely brought her own, did they only reformulate American Nutella?

Looks like many country has their own version. I read at least there is the German, French and UK version. Seems the French one is similar to the Italian version and the German is closer to his UK neighbour.

1 Like

People have shown that North American version (Canada and US) of Nutella is a little different than some of the European ones. However, there are difference across different European Nutella. One explanation (I cannot find anymore) is that the tougher/more solid texture of the German Nutella won’t work well with the softer (standard) American bread. If you try to spread a tougher Nutella on the softer American bread, you will just rip the bread. Different countries also have slightly different preference for sweetness, nuttiness, viscosity
etc.

Large companies like Ferrero have done a lot of consumer testing.

Make sense.

Actually, there are a lot of Chocolate Hazelnut spreads out these days. Walmart and ALDI both had good versions until they changed them last year. Justin’s brand was my favorite until they started using almonds. I use Nutella the first time I make a recipe to see how much the recipe relies on their formulation/ingredients, but after that, I’ll use my own or one of my preferred brands. Cocoa powder vs melted chocolate is always a heated discussion in this house.

Just made this Tunnel of Hazelnut Fudge cake over the weekend. Basically an excuse to eat homemade nutella on a spoon. It’s hard to see, but there’s a tunnel that runs through the middle of the cake, you know, to make it lighter:

2 Likes

“Nutella riots in France”.

I copy/paste the texts in case some of you can’t access from where you are.

A discount on Nutella has led to violent scenes in a chain of French supermarkets, as shoppers jostled to grab a bargain on the sweet spread.

IntermarchĂ© supermarkets offered a 70% discount on Nutella, bringing the price down from €4.50 (ÂŁ3.90) to €1.40.

But police were called when people began fighting and pushing one another.

“They are like animals. A woman had her hair pulled, an elderly lady took a box on her head, another had a bloody hand,” one customer told French media.

A member of staff at one IntermarchĂ© shop in central France told the regional newspaper Le ProgrĂšs: “We were trying to get in between the customers but they were pushing us.”

All of their stock was snapped up within 15 minutes and one customer was given a black eye, the report adds.
Skip Twitter post by @kennyLebon

End of Twitter post by @kennyLebon

How the world went nuts for a hazelnut spread

Similar scenes have been reported across France, with some being described as “riots”

Some 365 million kilos of Nutella is consumed every year in 160 countries around the world.

It was created by the Ferrero family in the 1940s in the Piedmont region of Italy, which is famed for its hazelnuts.

The firm said it regretted Thursday’s violence, but noted that the discount had been unilaterally decided by IntermarchĂ©.

1 Like

70% discount is a lot
 I would buy a ton too

Well, if a picture worth a thousand words, and a video worth hundreds pictures:

Hysterical. They guard it with their lives.

I wouldn’t eat it let alone pay for it.

Have you thought about reselling them? You have flip a profit. Just like people who buy football tickets.

I heard it on TV here too, crazy! Actually France is the biggest consumer of Nutella behind the US. Now the government will want to step in to stop this kind of promotion from supermarket which is probably against the trade law. A while ago Intermarché has 70% off on Perrier. Apparently people will risk their life for sugar than for water.

I thought this was an interesting read. MIchele Ferrero sounds like a good guy

2 Likes