Any more suggestions for my May trip? [Paris]

The steps on the river banks below the Orsay museum, facing the Louvre, are a favorite place of mine for a picnic, especially at sunset. Get yourself some cheese and charcuterie, some bread (the “tradition” is the better baguette in Parisian bakeries), a nice bottle of wine, a couple of plastic cups and enjoy the view !

3 Likes

Jake, If, by chance you are in Paris the latter part of October or beginning of November, maybe we could get together at the Brasserie d’Isle Saint-Louis and see if the practice still holds.

Hello Peter, indeed, we have tickets and hotel reservations putting us in Paris (and the nearby Normandy countryside) in late October. Unless we are required to cancel, we plan to be in Paris the last few days of October — and for a few days a week before then. So let’s keep this as an open possibility! As intimated, we’ve enjoyed this old place, and the staff, for many years — scratching an itch for an omelette, green salad, herring in oil (with those lovely potatoes) and amusingly somewhat grumpy (and ultimately friendly and professional) waiters at lunch. We’ve never been for dinner, but have often thought the choucroute garni would be welcome in cold weather. — Jake

Jake – we’ll be in Paris for a month, from October 18. So, as the dates get nearer, let’s make a plan.

In the meantime, I’ll be going over to Paris on Tuesday for two weeks. Solo, for a workshop. But, as I’ll be staying in the 5th near the Seine and the workshop is in the 4th, I’ll be going and coming across the island all the time. I’ll make a point of having at least one meal there to see how the place is holding up.

1 Like

H/T @buttertart

Hello Peter, we are looking forward to your reconnaissance / report.

Jake,
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner; it just fell through the cracks.

Anyway, I did indeed do a return visit to the Brasserie d’Isle Saint-Louis in May. Nothing new (not sure whether that is good or not), pretty much the same as I remember.
The menu still leans heavily in the direction of Alsace. And, the waiters are still all male (at least when I was there), with no young faces.

And, nothing has changed with our plans: we arrive on October 18 and will be in Paris for a month.

1 Like

Hi Peter, Just catching up re this, thanks. “Nothing new” seems like good news re this place. We too still hope to be back in Oct. – but we shall see . . . .

In the meantime, we just returned from 10 days in and around Annecy/ Lac Leman, etc. – and may post some about that if and when I have time.

1 Like