Any Good Chinese Restaurants in Monmouth County?

Joon they very well could have some good food but this place was just too weird for me. I don’t like to dismiss a place after a single visit but this place didn’t do it for me. I’ll drive 15 more minutes and go to Sichuan cottage

I was never a fan of Crown Palace, but you have to take what you can get in terms of the old fashioned sit down Chinese restaurant, which are few and far between. Not “Asian Fusion”, but strictly Chinese.

For authentic Chinese food, I love Shanghai Bun. I’m talking Jellyfish, ox tail, shredded stomach. You order chicken and broccoli here and you will get stares. They have two menus: one for the adventurous, one for the lost and confused. Additional reading here: https://eatingnewjersey.net/2016/09/18/restaurant-review-shanghai-bun-matawan-nj/

For that 1980’s, “old school” feel, Little Szechuan in Little Silver. The closest I have found to my dearly dearly departed Ruby Palace in Holmdel. AMAZING orange flavor beef and dumplings/wontons. Best I’ve had since a visit to Chinatown. I was there two weeks ago. Have not yet blogged my full review yet. I will say that the orange beef was whole slices of steak, not just bits of fried fat like most takeout places do around here.

Sunny Palace in East Brunswick is much like the above. Nostalgic, but expensive. They have a bar. Might as well order a Tsing Tao.

Then there’s Zhang’s Grill in Holmdel if you’re taking someone out on a date who you can’t stand…

2 Likes

OMG you’re one of us, alright! Welcome! :blush:

2 Likes

LOL thank you!

1 Like

Once I read some of his blog posts, I had to reach out. Good guy to have on board!

3 Likes

I am glad you did. I had heard of this site before, but never ventured on. It has been a lot of fun. Great to be surrounded by so many [local] food lovers!

1 Like

Please help spread the word around to any other like minded individuals. The site is less than 2 years old so we are really still in an infancy stage, 90% (if not more) of us are defectors from Chow/Chowhound.

I certainly will. I co-manage a food-related Facebook page and will definitely share the link to this site.

1 Like