Ants in the kitchen

Since you seem to have a grip on this topic, what is the impact if any on rodents, especially mice, of the boric acid baits you describe?

1 Like

I’m not sure what the effect on rodents would be at that rate. But, Boric acid is not kind to rodents Boric Acid Toxicity to Rodents
For rodent control, I use the old-fashioned traps, Victor, with the curved metal bait bars. Take a stamp-sized piece of paper towel, sandwich some peanut butter in that and press it tightly into the bait bar. Also, put a dab of bait under the bait bar. The paper towel makes it harder to steal the bait by licking it off.

Yeah, ants… I was too lazy to got out to buy anything. I sprayed a large part of my kitchen and living room in diluted vinegar. After a couple of application, the amount of ants significantly decrease. I don’t think vinegar is as effective as some industrial ant repellent. On the other hand, I didn’t have worry about vinegar getting onto my dishes or foods…etc.

1 Like

Thanks @bogman - I was more concerned with the possibility of attracting rodents while killing insects. You set my mind at ease. grin

1 Like

Ha, that should be Terro’s marketing slogan. That’s exactly what happened to me.

Ants used to invade the kitchen in our last house when the weather was hot and dry. I’d have to break out the Terro baits, sometimes repositioning them, until the ants were gone. Maybe you’ll get royalties if they use that “slogan.” :wink:

1 Like

Same reason I use cheap hot sauce and bay leaves. I haven’t poisoned the kitchen so far,
and I feel safe.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I have heard that chili powder and chili sauce are great too. I wonder if hot sauce is a little more effective because vinegar can evaporate rather quickly. On the other hand, vinegar is cheaper.

I buy the 3/$1.00 Hot Sauce at grocery outlet.

:slight_smile:

Maybe we can make a hot sauce humidifier and just have it spray hot sauce vapor throughout the whole house. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, get the bigger round outdoor ones with the two stakes. Give them a few weeks - they work!!

Also try diatomaceous earth around the perimeter of your home outside, esp near doors.

3 Likes

I have to say, I only had two terro baits and though the first couple of days I was fighting barfing every time I looked at them, they worked. Now I am only seeing a few stray dead or mostly dead ants. But I do find that if you don’t cut them just right that goop comes out on the floor and it’s hard to clean - wish they could fix that issue!

1 Like

Read this today, if you have problems with fire ants.

1 Like

hot shot ant baits … don’t spill or leak and work better and quicker than terro … cat can not get into it, actually ignores them

hot%20shot%20ant%20bait%203

2 Likes

I suppose I’m the only one here who is thinking I could try fresh grated wasabi or even the stuff in the tube if I had a bad fire ant problem? Instead of the wasabi plastic stuff. Interesting article and thank you :blush:

At $80 a pound for real, fresh Wasabi Rhizomes, the last thing I’d do is use it for ants! I’ve got some Wasabi growing; takes two years for a decent sized rhizome/stem to form.

2 Likes

Hmm I often try to get the sugary things off counters and into tighter spaces, and I also use kerosine.

1 Like

Welcome NnamAries!

Burn it all down! :joy::wink:

1 Like

I wish.

This year, the outdoor black ants are very aggressive, since winter, they are entering from the patio into the bedroom and bathroom. Now a second group enters from the front door. I just sprayed some vinegar hoping to stop their persistence. They haven’t reached the kitchen yet. I used ant baits, saw many dead bodies, but their population is far larger than what I believed.

What lives outside stay outside!

2 Likes