Anthony Bourdain - dead at 61

THANK YOU, @meatn3.

4 Likes

Posting and drinking. Sorry

5 Likes

Like most groups, HO has its share of crassholes.

5 Likes

Looks like Moderation took a look at where this friendly conversation was heading.

Granted, I acknowledge we can have different takeaways from any public experience. Forums make it too easy to go off the rails.

Something Iā€™m sure our friend Anthony could relate too.

I didnā€™t say I didnā€™t like him. I bought his books and watched his first few series avidly.

I also ate at Les Halles frequently, we had my daughterā€™s graduation lunch there. The mixed grill with the Merguez was one of my favorites.

Although truth be told, we probably liked Park Bistro across the street a little better. Quieter and better service.

But, as per my post, both he and the restaurant had gone downhill over the last five years.

No intimate knowledge necessary, all of this is public record and often by Bourdainā€™s own admission.

Gee, thanks for that, but I donā€™t think so Tim.

ā€œHis 2d marriage to his Brazilian jujitsu instuctor failed because he started bonking his Italian director.ā€

Can you substantiate this? Not that it matters as you appear to have an ax to grind. But unless you can prove this your entire presence in this thread can be ignored.

Anthony was a talented and complicated person who obviously struggled with depression. You obviously did not develop a connection with him and canā€™t imagine how anyone else could. Fine. I did and Iā€™m sad heā€™s no longer with us.

7 Likes

Been there done that.

5 Likes

Mr. Bourdain brought curiosity and empathy to parts of the world that were most likely unfamiliar to much of his audience.

ā€œHe thought of himself as a guest, and was fascinated and genuinely in love with the idea of food as a way to understand the country and its people,ā€ Ms. Sookdeo said. ā€œPeople respond to that kind of sincerity.ā€

Others shared her sentiment. ā€œHe didnā€™t look down on foreign places he visited and their ā€˜quaintness/backwardness/insert-usual-derogatory adjective,ā€™ā€ the journalist Rania Abouzeid tweeted. ā€œHe dived in, hungry to experience. His wasnā€™t the Orientalist gaze. He saw humanity (& food) everywhere, and connected with it.ā€

Jenny Yang, a comedian and writer, put it succinctly. ā€œBourdain never treated our food like he ā€˜discoveredā€™ it,ā€ she said on Twitter.

7 Likes

I have travelled a bit in my life, but I still kind of lived vicariously through Mr Bourdainā€™s Parts Unknown! Although I wasnā€™t obsessively watching his shows, when I did, I loved every moment of them, especially the ones filmed in Asia. I wanted to be there, right along side of him eating every delicious morsel and listen to him tell stories in person. Iā€™m sure that Iā€™m not alone on this phantom adventure.

Being a woman and in my late 60ā€™s, AB always portrayed (for me, anyway), the essence of the bad boy I remember from high school. And as a woman, I loved that kind of guy, even if itā€™s just a little longing from my youth now gone by.

Nevertheless, what he did inspire me to do most of all, is to try all kinds of food. When I travel now, or even when Iā€™m home, I search for new places I havenā€™t tried before and are more off the beaten path. A lot of people do this Iā€™m sure because of him, thankfully.

So yes, Iā€™ll miss Mr Bourdain and Iā€™m really sad that he took his own life. Was he tired, did he fall off the wagon, did his much younger girlfriend break up with him and he had a broken heart? Iā€™ll never know and it doesnā€™t matter. But what does matter for the most part, is he was one of the tough guys. He appeared fearless, forthright, substantial and outspoken. A true survivor! However, he really wasnā€™t, at least not on the night he took his own life. He was vulnerable, just like the rest of usā€¦ ā€œHang on people, itā€™s rough out thereā€. David Spade, on the death of his SIL, Kate.

10 Likes

Just an FYI (for all; didnā€™t mean to hit reply) ;

CNN is running ā€œA Cajun Mardi Grasā€ tonight, one of the last two episodes. Is it just me, or is anybody finding this one especially disturbing? Even Tony seemed a little blown away by the some of the shenanigans.

Now Iā€™m watching the Season 11 episode 5 in Hong Kong, where he talks about ā€œFalling in love IN Asia, and falling in love WITH Asiaā€, and I wonder what he means.

1 Like

Asia Argento, his romantic interest, stepped in to film this episode when his usual crewmember had an emergency surgery.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks!

He starts by writing/ saying something about how devastating both loves were. Maybe not devastating, but something pretty compelling. Anyway, Iā€™d seen the episode before, but now they all seem a little different.

This isnā€™t it, but I found it while looking.

Hereā€™s a quote;

"Neal: A lot going on in this one. What about at the beginning, when Tony opened up with this very vulnerable, emotional letter?

Thornburgh: Let me ask you, as a civilian, did you get the ā€œfalling in love with Asiaā€ reference there?

Neal: Thatā€™s what I was going to ask. Was he referring to his girlfriend, Asia Argento?

Thornburgh: Seems so. Her name is pronounced Ah-sia in Italian, not Ay-sia, but itā€™s her. And sheā€™s not just his girlfriend. Sheā€™s a film director, and she is the director on this episode as well. The scheduled director fell ill, so she was a late addition. You can see her in at least one of those meta, behind-the-camera shots. Itā€™s part of why Iā€™m really digging this episode. Itā€™s like there are Easter eggs throughout, starting with the intro. You donā€™t need to be a deep Bourdain subreddit follower to know that theyā€™re dating. And the timingā€”this episode coming out so soon after that speech she detonated at Cannes. Did you see it?"

Here is the quote;

"To fall in love with Asia is one thing. To fall in love in Asia is another. Both have happened to me.

The Star Ferry at Kowloon at night. The lights of Hong Kong behind me. Itā€™s a gift, a dream, a curse, the best thing, the happiest thing, yet also the loneliest thing in the world".

Hmmmmā€¦I guess lonliness and devastating arenā€™t the same at all.

3 Likes

Delete. :grapes::grapes::grapes:

Itā€™s so striking to see the "ā€œA chance to liveā€ commercia!s playing at the same time. Those commercials always get to me, since Iā€™m pretty convinced Iā€™m going to die from cancer. (My husband thinks thatā€™s crazy).

The commercial ends ā€œwho wouldnā€™t want a chance to live longer?ā€. Hah. He should spend a day as a psychiatrist!

2 Likes

I was horrified that was happening!

1 Like

I drove through Cajun country yesterday, then turned on this episode. The story depicted was bizarre and not like anything Iā€™ve ever seen before in Louisiana. And AB was joyless and tired looking, just as he was in the also bizarre Berlin episode. One more episode to go, Bhutan. Iā€™ll have to force myself to watch. Heā€™s a completely different host this season.

Iā€™m convinced Iā€™ll die in a fiery car crash after rolling my car three or four times, then plunging over the railing on PCH in Big Sur, over the cliffs and landing on the rocks below as the ocean waves crash and spray.

Youā€™re not crazy. :wink:

YOUR not-crazy sounds WAY better!

1 Like