Ansonia Wines [MA, Newtonville]

I’ve been buying wines for years from Garagiste in Washington state via the web for many years, and when I was searching for something about the owner, Jon Zimmerman, I came across an article that described Ansonia Wines (in Newton just off Newtonville Ave. near the intersection with Walnut St.) as the “Garagiste of the east”. It’s only open on Saturday afternoons, and although I live just a few blocks away, I never managed to check it out, until today.

I arrived just before closing at 4 pm. Signs direct you to the basement. They were pouring about 20 different wines. Not a huge selection in the store, but clearly carefully curated. I opted to try 3, and ended up taking home a crisp white Burgundy. They focus on Burgundy and environs. Burgundy is not a region I’m very familiar with, but I like their (Ansonia’s) approach and love pinot, so this seems like the place to learn. They group wines by producer rather than varietal. Clearly they know most, if not all of the producers and are very knowledgeable about the production methods, styles, and finished product. Worth a visit if you are in Newton on a Saturday afternoon.

1 Like

This description of Garagiste and its founder in the NY Times gives some context: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magazine/jon-rimmerman-garagiste.html

Thanks for the report. On the list to check out.

I’m on the prowl to stock up on rosé right now - were they pouring any?

Yes they were.

Thanks for the suggestion. Went today - they were tasting about 20 wines, very knowledgeable. Bought a rosé and a white burgundy. Will definitely be back.

Strange little place if anyone is going. Definitely an online business that essentially opens up its storeroom primarily for online order pickups on Saturday - but there were several regulars in there tasting as well.