Another vote for Oxford commas [NYT Food section]

So, I’m reading about Raffetto’s in the NYT, when I come across this sentence:

“Likewise, the ravioli, stored in fridges or a freezer against the shop’s back wall, is no longer filled only with the traditional meat, spinach and cheese…”

The NYT is infamous for not using an Oxford comma but c’mon people! Are those spinach ravioli and cheese ravioli (2 distinct entities) or spinach+cheese ravioli?

Of course, I assume they mean the former since I am aware that the editors don’t use an Oxford comma…but still I must rant! What about readers of the Times who don’t know this?! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

There’s ravioli with cheese, ravioli with meat and cheese, and ravioli with spinach and cheese. The Times’ wording is confusing. Raffetto’s website is more precise.

2 Likes

I’m an Oxford comma girl anyway…but the fact that I’m seeing that Oxford commas apparently annoy millennials is impetus for me to continue to use them.

6 Likes

Not all millennials. The Sprout is just barely a millennial (born on the last day of the last year for the cohort - if only she could have waited another 24 hours) and loves Oxford commas. She even has a sweatshirt with one.

7 Likes

Long Live the Oxford Comma!

4 Likes

7 Likes

And again:

Eats shoots and leaves.

3 Likes

Note that I’m keeping this on a food-related topic!

5 Likes

Me, too!

3 Likes

suspect thata your daugher might enjoy this:
Uploading: 98AB3AA7-F3BC-4787-8AFE-FE9C23AE7662.png…

Haha, does she provide recipes?

1 Like

And as I re-read my post, could it refer to the dreaded ravioli stuffed to the brim with meat+spinach+cheese? Gah! I’d rather cook my family and stuff them into ravioli!

Wonder how they tasted???

I’ve been looking for a new bumper sticker for my Jeep. This thread has inspired me to consider one about the OC. I’m definitely on that team.

2 Likes

couldn’t get the picture to upload. it was of a teeshirt that said ‘i am silently correcting your grammar.’

2 Likes

I saw that online. I do that, but I wouldn’t want to let people know!

I need to get this one for my daughter, but there is no way she is silent on this.

3 Likes

OMG! That would be so her. She loves grammar. When she was young, we would always say "LY"to each other if someone did not use an adverb correctly. Actually, we still do on occasion.

2 Likes

We do too!

1 Like

No Oxford commas, ever! AP Stylebook for Life!