Another nail in the coffin of food authenticity

Canadians also like to cover things in melted cheese.

1 Like

I donā€™t know why this takes such a hit (although too much is obviously too much). I mean, pizza. Is bread and tomato, covered with melted cheese.

2 Likes

Do you mean authentic pizza?

Oh Shit Duck For Cover Duck GIF - Oh Shit Duck For Cover Duck Oh Crap GIFs

7 Likes

Double cheese, double authentic pizza.

3 Likes

Most pizza in Italy isnā€™t covered in cheese, nor overloaded with toppings.

1 Like

Fine. Pizza has melted cheese on it. Better?

1 Like

Actually my favorite pizza has no tomato or cheese. Clam pizza at Zuppardiā€™s. Just freshly shucked clams and garlic and spices. I think I will get some this weekend.

A Clam Pizza Worth Waiting For

2 Likes

Okay, stop nitpicking pizza. I know pizza exists that has no cheese and/or no tomato sauce. Iā€™m waiting for someone to chime in with pizza that has no crust.

If you read up to beginning of this conversation, youā€™ll - hopefully! - see the point I was trying to make.

2 Likes

nope

Then you missed the (my?) original point entirely in that Americans love to cover stuff with cheese. Not just pizza.

I didnā€™t. I was just commenting that 1) there are plenty of foods from other countries that involve cheese on top of something else, and also suggesting that 2) painting ā€œAmericansā€ (all 330 million of them) with the same broad brush is pretty silly.

2 Likes

Aw. What fun would a discussion about food authenticity be without making sweeping generalizations about entire populations?

Almost like yer new here or sumtin.

2 Likes

Well, there is that.

I find the bashing of American food very tiresome, ESPECIALLY when itā€™s done by Americans who would like everyone to know that they are of course much too sophisticated to eat the way they claim their countrypeople eat. Itā€™s a close cousin to bragging about how you never see American movies, because ā€œforeignā€ films are superior.

6 Likes

so many people like to define themselves through their highfalutin tastes. :tophat:.

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

People were bashing American food? If the mere observation of the ever-present melted cheese (sauce) in almost every single food commercial on TV or >gasp< actual restaurant menus is tiresome to you or you find it personally insulting for some reason, then you might want to focus on all the other great eats this country has to offer. I made a lengthier post here.

We both know this wasnā€™t a ā€œmere observation.ā€

1 Like

small h, meet hyperbole. Hyperbole, meet small h.

Surely, you two will get along wonderfully :kissing_heart:

No, I get it, I know itā€™s hyperbole. But itā€™s done SO OFTEN that (I hope) you can see why it seems awfully lazy.

1 Like

I hope you wonā€™t tell me now that Germans do not subsist entirely on brats and kraut, cuz that would positively ruin my weekendā€¦

I think itā€™s actually beer and pretzels, but Iā€™ve only been to Germany twice, so Iā€™m not an expert.