Another nail in the coffin of food authenticity

What a lot of folks here don’t realize is that, yes, authentic food does change. It evolves but from that country with their culture, people, tastes, style, sensibilities, etc. That’s what makes it authentic. Its culture. It seems, sadly, most people don’t understand this.

Yes, someone elsewhere can make something different. But it is now that different country’s food if they adopt it. If not adopted by that other country, it’s just a random dish someone made that they either liked or disliked. It would seem “off” to folks in the country it was inspired from.

Most folks don’t seem to realize it hits different when you’re home sick in a different country and how an authentic, well prepared dish can drastically change one’s day. Can’t stress enough that its culture. And culture does not die unless no one has culture…

These short sighted articles are written for a reason. Its for profit margins. If everyone made authentic food everywhere, there would be significantly less of it. It’s why the industry loves churning out celebrity chefs to take people’s money for not so great food (most of the time). They typically lack a sense of soul that authentic food tends to deliver on. They can have the profit margins. I’ll stick with food with meaning where a mutual understand of folks from other parts of the country can happen. It’s an amazing bridge (and almost always delicious to boot)

1 Like

So well written, you said it beautifully.

I will add that tastes need to be developed. If the food is changed in a way to appeal to baby tastes, then that’s all we’ll have. I’m ok with that as an option, but I want more.

I want more than the cartoon version of a French bistro. More than Indian curries of mild thick gravy drowning some boneless, skinless chicken. More than sweet Thai food. I want to taste dishes that are not on every Vietnamese menu. I want to explore regions of Bolivian food. If someone is out there making food from the Jarocha neighborhood of Veracruz, I want to know about it. If I recommend a Senegalese place and someone from there knows of a more authentic spot, yes, I want to know about it and be proven that I’m wrong.

Authentic is a word, a shortcut. Look at it as a symbol. Just as symbolism is a way of explaining something quickly that would otherwise take pages and pages of clumsy dialogue.

1 Like

You don’t eat American food?
Ever?
Weird.

1 Like

As a general rule, people don’t ask me for advice on where to eat authentic American food. They have upon occasion done so for certain regional specialties within the USA. Maryland steamed crabs or crabcakes is an example.

If they did ask the general question, I would point them to go to a bar and order potato skins. It is the only food I can think of that is purely American. Discuss.

Authentic American food is all people ask my opinion on.
Potato skins, really?
Wow :open_mouth::flushed:
Cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

Some of my favourite Invented In America Foods:

Patty Melt
Eggs Benedict
Cobb Salad
Lobster Roll
Breakfast Tacos
Mission Burritos
Crab Louie
Detroit Pizza
RI Clam Pizza
Southern Tomato Pie

All the American Hot Dogs

@bbqboy, what are your favourites?

3 Likes

Hmmm, don’t think I’ve ever ordered or had a potato skin. Lots of potatoes but not that particular dish. American food is Alice Waters inspired farm to table or perhaps the terrible dishes my mom served to us like tuna noodle casserole and meatloaf or grits in the south or clam chowder and lobster in Maine? Or maybe huge steaks with A1 sauce and baked potatoes? Seems like a very broad category.

1 Like

I am no @bbqboy, but I have already had my daily daydream about a slaw dog.

3 Likes

Twice baked potatoes for the win.

And Funeral Potatoes.

Maybe potato tacos.

2 Likes

I’ll add a cousin: chili dog.

2 Likes

The reason why I say potato skins is that I have never heard of any other culture removing the inside of the potato, throwing it away, and cooking and serving just the skins.

For all other American foods (of which there are plenty), I believe they are all ‘variations on a theme.’ So the credit is distributed among many.

I also think that potato skins are a great food which have not been given their due, and are in fact on the wane, despite the tremendous interest in food culture.

If people were truly interested in American food, potato skins would be a Dish of the Month. There would be cookbooks devoted to it. But no, we are only interested in American food when it’s based on some other culture. It’s a sad day for the Potato Skin.

Who throws away the insides?

4 Likes

You don’t actually have to throw away the insides, but also you do not have to use them for this dish!

Poetic justice for all the mashed potato dishes that used to throw out the skins.

Buffalo wings come to mind.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

And in fact I like my mashed potato with the skins on. Either that or I’m lazy and it saves me from peeling.

Which led to Buffalo Chicken Dip

And buffalo chicken on everything. Just like “Alfredo.” Covering everything with gallons of melted cheese seems to be a very American thing, too.

The real story behind those potato skins at Prime Rib By JACQUES KELLY Baltimore Sun • May 13, 2006 at 12:00 am

Hope it’s not behind a paywall. If it is, turn off JavaScript in your browser.

3 Likes

Thanks for finding that article. So IIUC, it’s a 1970 tip from James Beard that started the potato skins…