Another nail in the coffin of food authenticity

Then you missed the (my?) original point entirely in that Americans love to cover stuff with cheese. Not just pizza.

I didn’t. I was just commenting that 1) there are plenty of foods from other countries that involve cheese on top of something else, and also suggesting that 2) painting “Americans” (all 330 million of them) with the same broad brush is pretty silly.

2 Likes

Aw. What fun would a discussion about food authenticity be without making sweeping generalizations about entire populations?

Almost like yer new here or sumtin.

2 Likes

Well, there is that.

I find the bashing of American food very tiresome, ESPECIALLY when it’s done by Americans who would like everyone to know that they are of course much too sophisticated to eat the way they claim their countrypeople eat. It’s a close cousin to bragging about how you never see American movies, because “foreign” films are superior.

6 Likes

so many people like to define themselves through their highfalutin tastes. :tophat:.

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

People were bashing American food? If the mere observation of the ever-present melted cheese (sauce) in almost every single food commercial on TV or >gasp< actual restaurant menus is tiresome to you or you find it personally insulting for some reason, then you might want to focus on all the other great eats this country has to offer. I made a lengthier post here.

We both know this wasn’t a “mere observation.”

1 Like

small h, meet hyperbole. Hyperbole, meet small h.

Surely, you two will get along wonderfully :kissing_heart:

No, I get it, I know it’s hyperbole. But it’s done SO OFTEN that (I hope) you can see why it seems awfully lazy.

1 Like

I hope you won’t tell me now that Germans do not subsist entirely on brats and kraut, cuz that would positively ruin my weekend…

I think it’s actually beer and pretzels, but I’ve only been to Germany twice, so I’m not an expert.

Some American food does not seem to go well with cheese. Of course we can debate whether it is American, but it yucks me out to think of CFS, mashed potatoes with skins on, cut green beans, and creamy gravy topped with melted cheese, Mornay, or chili con queso…but then I had a breakfast taco of egg, potato, chorizo, cheese, and salsa with cream gravy once, and it was awfully good.

I was thinking that Koreans might take objection given how melted cheese on stuff is kind of a thing there now… Also Indians (I’m kind of appalled by how ubiquitous piles of grated cheese have become over all kinds of random Indian street food… also kind of intrigued, tbh)

I didn’t know this about Korean food! But I remember parm on ramen. (I wish I didn’t, but I do.)

I’ve seen Korean ramen with a fat slice of Kraft cheese on it. I prefer ramen unadorned with cheese.

2 Likes

Yep, lots of cheese-heavy Korean dishes have been quite popular in Toronto’s 2 Koreatown the last 10-15 years, especially at bars with Korean share plates. They seem to be more popular with Korean Canadians in Koreatown than non Korean Canadians seeking out Korean food in Koreatown.

I thought it was döner.

Shhh, now. That would be too nuanced and/or accurate for an online discussion board :wink:

1 Like

I am not sure if bashing the current predilection in the USA for melting cheese on so many foods is the same thing as bashing American food.

If you love bagels/fried chicken/maine lobster/blackened shrimp/meatloaf/crabcakes and pulled pork, that doesn’t mean you have to love them with melted cheese on top.

2 Likes

Hahaha that is awesome