Anne Saxelby

This was such sad news yesterday. Like everybody else who shopped in those parts, I bought cheese from her personally in the early days of her shop and chatted with her. She was a lovely person. Later, I attended a very interesting talk she gave at a food series that the Tenement Museum was running, and we chatted a bit more. What a loss.

5 Likes

Here’s a lovely picture of Saxelby’s start in cheese just out of college at Cato Corner (a great, great cheese maker in CT):

4 Likes

This really broke my heart. I used to see and chat with Anne a few times a week when she was at Essex Market, and I always meant to go visit her at Chelsea. I can’t believe she’s gone so soon.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s heartbreaking. By the time the Chelsea operation began, Anne had become celebrated enough that she wasn’t working the counter much, even at Essex. Her, staff though, was also terrific.

1 Like

I’d not heard of her but Anne must have been something else! I believe I saw that cheese counter for in Chelsea Market! I knew I should have stopped in.

2 Likes