Andean potato parade

Former Chowhound Hunions who remember Sam Fujisaka may be interested in an FB post that landed on my tablet today. Though I knew that South America has countless potato varieties I had never before seen more than a handful of them. It may not be very many years before they become central to first world meal plans.
Screenshot_20240304-233418_kindlephoto-9819197

11 Likes

I briefly thought the heading was Andean Potato Pancake. A latke made from one of those items would be interesting.

3 Likes

My first trip to Ambato, Ecuador’s market made me realize that potatoes are not a 10 variety thing. I just couldn’t get over all of the different kinds and their uses. My Ecuamom picked some big boring ones to take home. I asked what was special about those. She said you boil them and they mash right now. No food mill, etc. So, we made them and I added garlic to the boil water. Hot damn, you just smash them and they fall apart perfectly. There, folks seem to prefer a much wetter mashed potato, by adding some stock to the mash. I was lapping it up like a hound dog.

1 Like