Andalucia , anyone?

That was my point exactly about Olvera. As pretty as it might be, it lacks in breadth of accomodations and dining experiences. As does Medina Sidonia, which can be seen in 2 minutes. And Gaucín now for me has been taken over by the expat community, losing its charm. I feel the same about Nerja and Frigiliana.

@Ziggy
While I could wax rhapsodic about gorgeous Vejer, my very favorite, pristine, sophisticated, food-rich white town, within striking distance of Barbate and Zahara de los Atunes (blue fin tuna and Retinto beef land), I don’t know how it would easily work logistically to swap out Ronda for Vejer if your itinerary hits these cities in this order:
Seville
Córdoba
Granada
Ronda
Málaga
if you plan to fly into Sevilla and out of Málaga
But perhaps I have that wrong…

erica1 and I finally !! met at midnight in Jerez (all my fault!), and it was a true pleasure. The dining options there do appeal, plus I do love the Jerez de la Frontera-el Puerto de Santa Maria-Sanlúcar de Barrameda sherry triangle.
Perhaps you could save a southwestern swing from Sevilla for another trip?
Just a thought…

1 Like

Correct, I was thinking fly to Seville and out of Malaga, and visit the places in that order. Doing the south west, as tempting as it is after Erica’s post will be tricky. We are also going with another couple that loves to tag along and eat well but dont share the same passion for food. So seeing the main attractions and photogenic places is key.

Olvera struck me as that kind of unspoiled photogenic. Pictures can deceive and obviously not tell the whole story, but thats the most impressive I’ve seen so far. And being surrounded by vineyards, and close to Setenil and Ronda meant stay a little. That was my thought process, but I now think staying in Ronda instead and visiting Olvera during the day makes more sense.

This is a somewhat more detailed itinerary.

Seville - 4 (maybe day trip to Jerez)
Pick up car
Córdoba - 2 (Stop at Carmona on the way if we choose)
Granada - 3 ( maybe Fortaleza de la Mota on the way)
Potential day trip to Capileira, Bubión, Pampaneira
Ronda - 2 ( Antequera and hike El Torcal de Antequera on the way)
Day trip to Olvera, Setenil, vineyard
Málaga - 3 ( Caminito del Rey on the way)
Day trip to Mijas and Colomares Monument
Fly home

Nothing is set in stone at this point but thats the idea.

Hi Ziggy,
That’s what I thought, into Sevilla, out of Málaga, which makes your planned itinerary make much more sense, as well as your traveling companions wishes.

Ok, your plan B,
A day trip to Jerez for sherry, horses, sightseeing or flamenco can be easily done by MD train from Sevilla Santa Justa. I’ve done it often.

For the day trip to the Alpujarras from Granada, very doable with a car but plan on the entire day.

I would definitely eliminate the day trip to Mijas, with its overpopulation of expats, burro taxis, souvenir shops galore, completely now unauthentic, ime. But that’s my personal bias, as I dislike the expat colonies of Mijas, Nerja and Frigiliana. They just aren’t my favorite white towns, by far.
There, I’ve said It! I know…“tell me, Maribel, how you really feel”. :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s been a while but I wrote about our 2014 trip on my blog:

One night in Malaga and a few in Granada, our second time in each. We had some really great food.

3 Likes

So glad I found this post – we’ll be in Andalucia for about 2.5 weeks, mid October through November 2nd. The restaurant recommendations are greatly appreciated, though we have to admit that we cannot eat and drink the way we used to, so it won’t be full dinners every evening, for sure.

@Ziggy, we are flying into Jerez and flying home from Malaga, with the following line up:
Jerez - 3 nights
Seville (via train) - 4 nights
Cordoba (via train) - 2 nights
Granada (via train) - 3 nights
then we’ll pick up a car and spend a couple of nights in the countryside north of Malaga, return the rental car in Malaga and spend our final 3 nights there

On Jerez (also Cádiz and the coast nearby), this has some very good recommendations: Tuna experience: El Campero, Antonio or somewhere else and tapas in Cadiz

Consider 1-2 nights in nearby Cádiz and a trip to Barbate for tuna dishes, (perhaps shortening Malaga proper).

We quite enjoyed MANTUA (high end with great sherry pairing) and also the same chefs’s Albala (more casual, get the meatballs).

Erica has a few good threads on Jerez including this one: PROVINCE OF CADIZ...near Vejer de la Frontera

In Cordoba, we have enjoyed NOOR as much as any restaurant in Spain (the short menu won’t overwhelm). They are moving through Cordoba’s gastronomic eras (starting in 1236) interpreting the ingredients and dishes of each time period.

In Granada, it’s not within walking distance of the key sight , or in the magical Albacin with views of the Alhambra but Bar FM serves up consistently excellent seafood of the kind that can rival the more famous spots in the North of Spain. Some are dissuaded due to the location but it’s worth an 8-10 min taxi ride each way. Despite its tapas bar setting you will need a reservation.

1 Like

Here is what I wrote after 3 nights in Jerez; each ofo the restaurants was excellent and if you want a top quality seafood house off the tourist track but well-known to celebrated Spanish chefs, book a table at Marea de Marcos…see info in my report here:

1 Like

@Adele_Miller
For Jerez de la Frontera,
I second all of tigerjohn’s and Erica’s recommendations along with the more casual ones I posted above. I too had a lovely lunch in the beautiful dining room of. LA CARBONÁ, very nicely described by Erica 1, which is quite handy after a tour of Lustau, which is also one of my favorite sherry houses to tour.

In addition to MANTUA, I had a very nice lunch this spring at the chef´s more informal, less expensive ALBALÁ, which is very convenient after the noon, 90-minute horse ballet at the Real Escuela del Arte Ecuestre, just a block or two away.

For almadraba-caught tuna in Jerez, I also like AMAR, at a lower price point.

For Cádiz,
where I spent 5 nights this spring, I most enjoyed the new, chef driven CICLO, where one can dine solo in the bar area, on restaurant-line Calle Sopranis. I dined on his creative tapas at the bar, but there is also a tasting menu.

The chef, Luis Callealta, was the former gastronomic director of Angel León’s Michelin-starred APONIENTE in El Puerto for 8 years (where I haven’t yet been). The chef’s wife, Rocío Maña, runs the house and will advise you well. There is also a nice selection of Tierra de Cádiz wines by the glass. It’s very pleasant for a single diner. Both Michelin and Repsol recommended.

My trips to Cádiz aren’t complete without stopping at the wonderful “time warp” of a tavern,
CASA MANTECA in the Barrio de la Viña for their signature “chicarrones”, which here, are very thin slices of slow cooked pork belly topped with a bit of lemon and served on waxed paper.
The tavern is decorated with bullfight posters (the late owner was a novice bullfighter, a novillero), photographs of the many famous who have dined here and other memorabilia. The chicarrones here are very different from the ones found in other Andalusian cities.
If you’re hankering for fried fish (pescaíto frito), across the street Manteca has opened the FREIDOR DE MANTECA.

CASA MANTECA makes an interesting stop on the walk to EL FARO DE CÁDIZ, where I sat at a tall table behind the bar area for my requisite order of tortillitas de camarones (shrimp fritters), cazón en adobe (battered dogfish) and papas aliñás. Must reserve here for the dining room to indulge in a seafood feast.

Another tavern that for me is unmissable is the atmospheric TABERNA LA SORPRESA (originally a 1956 sherry dispensary/ultramarinos), which serves impeccable almadraba-caught blue fin from Barbate in a half dozen different guises, from tataki to sashimi to tartar to mojama to ijada.

CASA MANTECA and LA SORPRESA are both like a trip back to the 1950s.

To accompany the blue fin, the tavern offers a nice selection of sherries and manzanillas (the best I found in the city) and vermouths with the traditional accompany “gilda” (olive, anchovy, pickle and guindilla pepper on a skewer). Their selection of wines is also quite impressive.

Another tapa that I enjoy here is their “matrimonio”, anchovies, boquerones, roasted red peppers, alioli served atop a toasted mollete (Andalusian bread).
The tavern’s chicharrones are apparently some of the city’s best, which I didn’t try.
The service is very kind. Just ask the lovely ladies to prepare for you their signature tapas.
But go early, when they open at 12:30 or at 8:30 pm, as it’s not undiscovered. This sweet tavern with its retro dining area of marble top tables is quite small. I sat at the counter to watch the ladies prepare my tapas, but there are also a few sherry barrels placed outside for the overflow crowd.

At the counter, the tavern also sells a number of canned fish items, from Barbate but also from Cantabria that one finds in a traditional abacería (Andalusian corner grocery). And they still sell their sherries and manzanillas straight from the barrels to go. A lovely place.

Biggest disappointment: The Basque AXURI, on Calle Ploncia. High prices for mediocre dishes and aloof service, Past its prime, ime.

A new dining spot in Cádiz, MARE, has recently been opened by chef Juan Viú from Barbate on the pretty Plaza de Candelaria but in its stark white space there are only 4 tables and he serves a tasting menu only, priced at 75. This is his most ambitious opening to date. I haven’t been.
https://marerestaurante.com

3 Likes

Addition,
La Curiosidad de Maruo (from chef Mauro Barreiro) has closed. The chef wants to concentrate on his little, inexpensive tapas bar, TRISNIA TAPAS Y VINOS, at Calle Zorrilla 5 near the pretty Plaza Mina. This little place with long bar, a few low tables and high tables, offers more creative, “reinvented” tapas than those found in the historic tabernas.

2 Likes

Hey Adele, other than Jerez, its pretty much our itinerary. I feel more comfortable about it now. Tho the Malaga flight options on TAP convinced us to shorten the stay by one night.

Argh,
Another typo, it’s chicHarrones. In other parts of Andalusia they’re fried pork bits. In Cádiz they’re slow cooked pork belly.

2 Likes

Is the fried variation similar to Torreznos?

Interesting, with so much great info! Thank you, Maribel.

La Curiosidad de Mauro was probably my least favorite dining experience in Cadiz a few years back, but would be interested, perhaps, to try his new place. The city just oozes welcome to foreign tourists…I guess that is one of the charms of Andalucia. (and oh, those ortiguillas!!)

Yes, similar to torreznos.

I’ve only been to Trisnia once, and it was during the final days of Carnival, not the optimum time at all to try out any new place in Cádiz.
The staff urged me to return when they would have a more ample menu and the kitchen could show me a bit more of its creativity. Time will tell.

We spent a few days in Sevilla in early September. My partner had a conference, and I tagged along. I was on my own for lunches but we had dinners together. I did one day trip to Córdoba. My best sources for research were this thread and the azahar-sevilla.com website. I’m more of a cheapskate than @Maribel, @erica1, or Shawn, so nothing really high end. I won’t post photos, as there are more and better ones on Shawn’s website and also on Google Maps. I was mostly drinking sherry (fino, palo cortado, and manzanilla), occasionally white wine, once or twice a glass of red, as local as I could get.

Vida Jonda: one of our best meals. Vieira (the scallops were raw, a pleasant surprise), gofre pringá, and stuffed mushrooms. The server was funny and went through the whole menu in detail without being asked. There was a great funk soundtrack playing. The place was mostly empty (we were there shortly after opening) and those who arrived while we were there seemed to be locals. We had a day later in the week when we couldn’t plan, and when it turned out that dinner would work, we went back. But the staff had changed, there was no music, and what we ordered (croquetas de carrilladas, and their fancy take on San Jacopo, made with venison and jamón ibérico) was heavy, dull, and actually undersalted. So YMMV.

Tradevo Centro: probably the other top meal. We reserved for lunch indoors. We had fairly wretched service, but it was clearly the server’s first day on the job; the other staff were showing her where the wine fridges were, and she deferred to them on some of our requests. She had better English, though, and everyone was at least friendly, even if they were quite busy. From the specials page, we ordered navajas, and coquillas (these weren’t listed but I could see them in the display case), and from the regular menu, atún rojo salvaje de almadraba (tartare, atop a gazpacho and with various flavourings) and tallarin de sepia (ink in the sauce, not the pasta, my preference, plus, unusually, a Bolognese on top, which worked!). Everything was good (okay, maybe a bit too much sauce under the coquillas, which didn’t need it). Unfortunately, we ordered a dessert to share, and then waited, while everyone rushed about. Had they forgotten? It didn’t require any preparation. We had timed tickets for the Catedral, so we called for the bill. Despite the service hiccups, this would have been a better place to return to (or their original location in Nérvion, close to my partner’s conference location).

Casa del Tigre: probably the nicest atmosphere we encountered, in terms of the layout and decoration of the rooms. It filled up fast, mostly with tourists (we had reserved our table; those who hadn’t went to the bar). We ordered a special (cherry tomato salad, with a sort of salmorejo and olive oil sorbet), oysters, and from the regular menu, the layered papas bravas, the tortilla abierta with crystal shrimp, and the “hot dog” de corvina.

La Brunilda: also a pleasant atmosphere, but it felt a bit like a machine. We’d heard about indifferent service, but ours was at least pleasant and efficient. No specials, and the menu has been mostly the same for ages; they have two seatings a night. I can’t complain about the food. We had tuna tataki, octopus, duck confit, and the mini-hamburger. All very correct, and yet somehow the whole experience lacked a certain sparkle. I would recommend it to first visitors, but I wouldn’t return, myself.

La Casapuerta: we had a reservation for our arrival night, but travel delays forced me to cancel and rebook, and even then we had to roll by with our luggage (it was just off the route between the bus station and our hotel) and make sure they would hold the table. We returned about 21:30, and there were plenty of open tables, with some departures and arrivals while we were there (all tourists from what I could tell, some Spanish though) but it was never busy (this was a Sunday night, though). We went for their Cádiz specialties: tartare of almadraba tuna with three sauces, and an entrecote of retinto beef, sliced and served with a tangle of sautéed peppers of various colours (we had a choice of that or fries). Certainly good, but in retrospect overshadowed by later meals.

La Cantina: at the Mercado do Feria, a market bar with a small terrace of self-bussed tables. You order and pick up orders at the bar. We had checked out of our hotel, and this was up to the northeast near Vida Jonda. It was early, because we had a bus to catch, and so relatively quiet. We weren’t the first ones eating, but it was close. We ordered fried puntillos (very small squid), grilled sardines, and a large plate of navajas. Basic, fresh (from the fishmongers in the market), very tasty, inexpensive. Also they were quite friendly, which is not always my experience in markets.

Bodeguita Romero: a solo lunch. I arrived before opening, along with some other tourists, who hung by and grabbed the outdoor tables as soon as a server took the stools off them. I didn’t play that game; I went inside (only locals in there, as far as I could tell) and sat near the apex of the oval bar, where I could see the dishes coming from the kitchen being placed for the outdoor service. From the specials, I ordered fideos marineros and chipiritos. The tuna in the display case looked fabulous, and I was tempted, but I wanted to try the famous pringá. That was a mistake, as it was somewhat of a disappointment. Would definitely return, and stick to seafood specials.

Dos de Mayo: my first solo lunch, and close to our hotel, as I didn’t quite have the place scoped out fully. There was a terrace with a couple of tourist parties on it, but it was hot, so I went inside and got a high two-top where I could see into the kitchen. The others inside were all older locals, with some working folks dropping by to eat at the bar. The things available as media rácion were not that interesting, so I ended up with a whole plate of deep-fried boquerones, which were fine but a bit monotone. But I enjoyed the atmosphere and the people-watching.

A few more Sevilla notes: decent ice cream at Créeme, near the Fine Arts Museum. We hit a number of specialty coffee places, which were mostly okay, but nothing special. Breakfast was a real issue for me. I found a couple of decent croissants / pains aux chocolat, but I can’t have that every day (okay, maybe I can in Paris, but there’s a lot more variety there). I am fine in countries where breakfast is closer to other meals (in fact I prefer that to a large North American breakfast). It just felt like there wasn’t much choice. Also what is with coffee places that open at 10am or even noon?

For my lunch in Córdoba, I looked hard at El Bar de Paco Morales and Garum 2.1 (at times I was convinced I would eat at each), but didn’t make any reservations, and after seeing the Mezquita-Catedral in the morning, they seemed incongruous. Instead I went up to the Casa El Pisto, which was nice as it got me into the modern city, which has some good pedestrian zones and plaças. They were booked but I got a table in the side room which had a late booking. I may have been the youngest person in the place, and I am not young. But I enjoyed the style of the dining rooms (lots of paintings, photos, vintage posters, and framed memorabilia). The salmorejo was excellent; the estofado de rabo de toro (oxtail stew) was merely good. Service was friendly and efficient. Prices were quite reasonable.

Thanks again to all posters here. The Azahar website is an invaluable resource for this part of the world. It’s even interesting to read if you have no immediate plans to visit.

5 Likes

Lovely to read your detailed post. Many thanks!!

1 Like

Great report! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

I haven’t been to Vida Jonda but will put it on my agenda for Holy Week.

I had a great solo lunch at Tradevo Centro in late February, indoors. Will return.

Shawn introduced us to Casa del Tigre, and I agree about the atmosphere. They do have a spin off, El Pantera, that sits next to the Espacio Eslava, with a very paired down menu but friendly service and a place I could just drop in to at anytime, since it was next to my apartment.

Glad to know you enjoyed, sort of, La Brunilda, but its fame among foreign visitors and the long waits have kept me away since my first visit.

I love Bodeguita Romero and do love, as Shawn does, their pringá, but it does get very, very crowded.

I loved my lunch at Casapuerta, (thanks Shawn), after my visit to the Museum of Fine Arts. I too went for their almadraba specials and other Cádiz bites. Lovely service and atmosphere.

Dos de Mayo was on my way home every night from the center to Espacio Eslava and I used to stop in every night for a final tapa and wine with a locals only crowd, but I wouldn’t rate it fine dining, just a locals´hangout.

For breakfast I head to the iconic Bar El Comercio on Calle Lineros, for just coffee or occasionally to indulge in their churros y chocolate. It sits near the H10 Casa de la Plata where my husband and I usually stay, and the churros are available all day and well into the night.

Another hole-in-the-wall for a hearty breakfast sandwich, a mollete, near Las Setas is the local’s hangout, Bar Er Tito at José Gestoso 11. Everyone orders the large “tostada de carne mechá” (I took half back to the hotel with me), which is truly addictive. I could have had breakfast there every day.
For anyone reading this, it does open at 7 am.

I’m also a fan of Casa el Pisto in Córdoba, tucked away off the trodden tourist trail.

Thanks again for taking the time to share such a detailed dining report!

2 Likes

I’ve just read about a restaurant outside Malaga Centro that sounds interesting. I wonder if Maribel, TigerJohn, or anyone else, knows this and has been:

JACINTO

1 Like

Pinned this to my sidebar, looks good. Will be there mid September.