Anchor RIP

Paywall, but it would be nice. I suspect even if they’re able to pull it off, it’ll be an uphill battle. So little shelf space, so many breweries.

Here’s a non-paywalled article.

2 Likes

I was lucky to be able to enjoy Anchor Steam while I was in college in the Bay Area in the late 70s, and anywhere I could find it afterward. I found a couple places in the PNW that kept it on tap, so AS has quenched my thirst for over 40 years. I’ve always felt that this beer was underappreciated, while their Celebration was a little overhyped.

Strangely, awhile back, one of my AS “pushers” suddenly stopped pouring it, then just as abruptly restored it to its rightful place. I sensed then that Anchor might’ve had serious distribution problems, since Steam was always very popular there.

Sad day.

3 Likes

thanks

Never had either, but beer is something I didn’t do much of until I go, ahem, older.

Me, too. Anchor Steam was a go-to after a long night’s study session and the pub was open after the midnight closing of the library. BITD when I could enjoy a pint with a basket of garlic bread or a slice of pizza late at night.

I had a friend in college who would buy a six pack of Anchor Steam and a case of Coors (IIRC - it may have been Miller). He’d drink two of the ASs to start the evening, and the rest of the night would be the Coors (or Miller). His rationale was that after the first two, he was drinking for effect, not enjoyment. Haven’t seen Neil in ages - I hope he’s doing well.

5 Likes

Today’s news is that the union employees and a group of managers have voted to buy the brewery and run it as an employee-owned co-op. That works for me!

(NY Times gift link)

5 Likes

Switch to some 15% ABV porters and you can have both at the same time

I don’t think those kinds of brews were widely available in 1980.

Liquor Barn had an extensive selection of imported and domestic brews in the late 70’s.

You can point out to him the error of his ways from 40+ years ago if you want. I can probably track down his contact information. The only other thing I remember about Neil and his drinking is that he would not share his Anchor Steam, but would gladly let you have a Coors (Miller).

2 Likes

Fully understandable - Coors is just horrible

1 Like

That’s me. I go to tastings, and it’s 80% yawnable. I love events like that; but so many breweries are a pretty can, and that’s it.

I loved anchor since i first tasted it in the 70’s
The problem i have today . Is way to many hops to cover up the brewing techniques.
Does anyone make a lager .

There was a brewpub in Sacramento that had an IPA with a great name - “Monkey Knife Fight” - but the beer itself, sadly, was decidedly mediocre.

Delete

Many breweries make lagers

I just enjoyed two pints of draft AS, and it’s the last barrel this joint will get.

4 Likes

Boston Lager