An ode to Existing Conditions [Greenwich Village]

Sigh, I just learned that Existing Conditions is now closed. I’m not much of a drinker, but I always appreciated my times at Exiting Conditions as I was a big fan of Dave Arnold (though, go figure the times I visited he wasn’t ever there). Reading more about the place, it seemed like an All-Star bar combination of Don Lee and Dave Arnold along with Greg Boehm; seemed like the Warriors nigh undefeatable. The focus has been on having a great experience, but some of the extra magic has been a little more science based. More minimalist towards the decor, but I always found the place to be warm and welcoming.

In any case, a brief memory:

Starting off the night with a Jack Rosé:

“Like bobbing for apples in a vat of sparkling rosé.”

Apple Brandy, Blanche Calvados, Sweet Vermouth, Pomegranate, Lemon Cordial, Champagne Acid

Thought this was refreshingly delicious.

Millions of Peaches

“Bougie Snapple.”
Clarified Peaches, Clarified Lime, Barley Syrup, Umeboshi

And well… it does taste like the Peach Snapple haha.

The Mango Faustino

“Chicicapa Mezcal, Mango”

A wrinkle on their Banana Justino, just with mangoes!

Cape Codder

“We use fresh cranberries, not juice. Refreshing as hell.”
Vodka-Cranberry Justino, Clarified Lime

As per the description, delicious and refreshing.

Some of the magic, is the use of liquid nitrogen. Some uses of it was to instantly chill the glass, helps prevent some of the extra condensation in the glass. Other uses is for nitro muddling; an interesting cocktail technique to prevent enzymatic browning in certain ingredients.

Banana Justino

“Our favorite straight pour. Clear, smooth, easy drinkin’.”
Rum, Bananas

Just a fascinating drink, blended banana and rum then spun down in a centrifuge to ensure clarity. Delicious.

Uh… I’m back again with the Jack Rosé.… Not an alcoholic, I swear!

Yes, this place has food as well!

Kiev Nuggets

Crispy Chicken Thigh, Porcini Powder, Salted Butter, Herbs

Crispy on the outside, super juicy on the inside most likely due to that butter!

Stingless

“Honeyed bubbles from the stingless Melipona honey bee, the only natural pollinator of vanilla orchids”
Carbonated Melipona Honey, Clarified Lime, Vanilla

Fragarant and refreshing. Its funny that we associate vanilla with plain and boring, but its actually rather difficult to cultivate and grow for a long time.

Cape Codder

“We use fresh cranberries, not juice. Refreshing as hell.”
Vodka-Cranberry Justino, Clarified Lime

Once more, refreshing!

Peekytoe Crab Dip

Chili Oil, Peppadew Pepper, Parsley, Wonton Chips

Lots of dip, they’re pretty great with providing a second set of chips when I had a lot of dip left over. Not as big of a fan for this, but just wanted to try it out.

Serendipity

“A savory tropical sipper for when you’re in an Old-Fashioned frame of mind.”
Clarified Tomato, Clarified Passionfruit, Grapefruit Twist

Got a shaved ice cocktail this time.

Italian Ice
Byrrh, Braulio, Aperol, Fresh Lemon, Lemon cordial.

It was a delight watching them make shaved ice from those Japanese kakigori ice shavers. The drink was quick refreshing as well though getting chilly as this was towards fall. Ordered the shaved ice since it was the last one of that season.

Hoja Santa

“Fresh Hoja Santa, Mexico’s sacred leaf, highlights this summer crusher.”
Tequila, Orange and Lime Juices, Green Chartreuse, Hoja Santa, Parsley

Nitro muddled drink this time! Just fun watching them put the herbal items and add LN2 into a tin and muddle away. My best thought was wow, I can taste the freshness of the herbs!

There’s the dewer of LN2, but wait… what’s going on with the flames!?

Those are the red hot pokers! Flaming hot rods plunged into an alcoholic mixture. Super fun to watch.

DSC02833

These are pickle fries. Odd combo, but deep fried pickles with savory crispness on the outside and sour pickle in the inside. Great to drink with!

I couldn’t resist a red hot poker drinks after seeing so many being ordered.

This is the Hot Ti
Agricole rum, lime juice, blance armagnac

The red hot pokers carmelize the sugar in the drink as well, and it really reminded me of tea haha.

Grand Isle

“Tasmanian honey from the rainforests of the wild west coast.”
Carbonated Leatherwood Honey, Lime

To me tasted quite similar to the Stingless but less hint of vanilla.

Purple

“Who new something so purple can be so refreshing?”
Aquavit, Acid Adjusted Grapefruit, Purple Basil

Another nitro muddled drink, this time the purple basil gets the LN2 treatment. Very basily and refreshing.

Pommes Deragon

French-Fried Mashed Potato Sticks, Everything Bagel Sauce, Spicy Carrot Aioli, Neonata Mayo

These things were delicious. Crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside.

Macintosh Plus

“An Apple Martini, 2.0”
Blanche Calvados, Bianco Vermouth, Hickory Syrup, Clarified Lime

Tasted like… an Appletini haha. Enjoyed the color as well.

DSC02943

Stingless

“Honeyed bubbles from the stingless Melipona honey bee, the only natural pollinator of vanilla orchids”
Carbonated Melipona Honey, Clarified Lime, Vanilla

Once more.

Red hot pokers resting

Flame on!

I think this was the Vesuvius
Byrrh, Aperol, Braulio, Acid Lemon Cordial, Lemon.

And my last drink from Existing Conditions… just another round of

Serendipity

“A savory tropical sipper for when you’re in an Old-Fashioned frame of mind.”
Clarified Tomato, Clarified Passionfruit, Grapefruit Twist

Like the Warriors, existing conditions suffered from injuries though in this case more like a pandemic. Alas. I really enjoyed my visits to Existing Conditions. Even there on Halloween night, just a little respite from the craziness outside (the Halloween parade was just down the block!). I definitely will miss this place and I really hope that they’re able to come back together for Round 2.

9 Likes

Thanks for the memories

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the post, with your vivid descriptions. This place will be missed.

1 Like

Some of those descriptions were from the menu >_>; so I can’t take all the credit.

1 Like

It’s great you took time doing it. Which was your favourite if you’ve to choose one or 2 drink?

1 Like

Oh that’s hard to choose.

I’m thinking if summer time, I’d want something refreshing so either the Jack Rose or the Cape Codder for alcoholic and the Serendipity for non-alcoholic.

Winter time, I’m thinking either of the nitro muddled drinks since they have a wonderful fresh essence and then couple that with the red hot poker drinks.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for sharing! I’ve never made it to NYC, but it’s been on the cards for a while and I would have definitely gone here. Listened to Dave Arnold’s podcast a bit in the past and he’s a very passionate interesting guy.

Big shame it had to close

Haha, some would say he’s crazy but I think crazy interesting is always good. He has a fantastic cocktail book called Liquid Intelligence which I found fascinating as well.

But yeah, I fear for my local places now :frowning: