An obsessive guide to tea scones

So here is the ultimate guide to baking tea scones from someone who has very hard and fast opinions on how each step directly affects the end result. Something to remember when you are baking. (Said by someone who accidentally turned her oven off this weekend while baking mini pumpkin breads! After screaming, I turned the oven back on, and they came out ok. And by ok, I mean they had a funny hump in the middle like a camel. But they tasted good, so there’s that.)

1 Like

I had no idea that “English tea” was used as part of the name in the US. Here in the UK just “scone” is used, but it’s the pronunciation that causes debate. To rhyme with “alone”, or “gone”? That is the question!

1 Like

That’s a gone scone, Robin.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s even a reason for the extra words; nobody has shown me Kenyan beer scones or Slovakian car-washing scones.

1 Like

GMA: Buckingham Palace royal chef shares recipe for fruit scones.

Mrs H, who is the baker of the couple, regards fruit scones as a lesser product than a plain scone, interfering as it does, with the jam. For those of we Britons of a certain generation, scones are as St Delia’s recipe. Nothing else will do.

(She does have a recipe for fruit scones for the heretics amongst us - or those who just prefer their scones unadorned by anything other than butter. Weirdos.

3 Likes

My dad’s recipe is for plain scones as well which are my absolute favourite.
He’s a little bit of a purist at heart.
Interestingly enough, my boys prefer them with fruit.