An excess of mushrooms - what to do with them

Another thing I like to make that uses a lot of mushrooms is turnovers or little half moon pastries - can use phyllo or puff pastry for the triangular shapes, or puff pastry for the half moons. Square or rectangular ones would be just fine too, whatever you fancy. Sautée the shrooms in butter or OO, with finely diced shallot or onion, add some fresh or dried herb ( thyme always works, fines herbes, savory, herbes de Provence - whatever you like) S&P, and a little grated gruyere, soft goat, or Parmesan or Romano cheese, or a combo. Light on the cheese IMO, you want the mushrooms to be the star.

Fold as for tyropita, or make other shapes to fill and crimp. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with Parmesan (or whatever) and bake at 350 until golden. Cool slightly before serving. These will disappear.

5 Likes

mushrooms are often common sidekick to a lot of wild rice recipes

1 Like

My most recent use-up mushrooms dish is sautéed mushrooms, mixed with sour cream, chopped dill, black pepper.

1 Like

Made this (more or less) tonight:

4 Likes

Vietnamese mushroom hor mok, an intensely flavored steamed custard. Dippable or spoonable, but incredibly delicious either way. I see that recipe behind NYT paywall. Sorry.

1 Like

I suppose the original mushrooms in question are long gone but since I am a huge fan of the ‚shroom, I feel compelled to offer up………Hungarian mushroom soup. There is a vendor at my local farmers market who sells the soup and after buying way too much of it, I started making my own. So delicious

1 Like

I love that Hungarian Mushroom soup also - delicious. I first had it at a pizza place in Southern Oregon & fell in love with it! When I returned home I googled for a recipe, which led me to the original Moosewood Cookbook and have been making it ever since. Yum.

2 Likes

Stir fry them with squash (Cuarzo)

1 Like

I know I’m muy tarde to dah party; but when I have excess mushrooms, I dehydrate and pulverize them to make the best addition to soups, gravies, etc. out there.

1 Like

Today I saw a recipe for mushroom larb in the NYT I want to try. A mix of mushroms roated, then mixed with larb ingredients, and a sprinkle of toasted rice. My daughter is visiting, so I have a fellow mushroom lover to share, and CSA has mushrooms on offer this week.

Would shiitake or maitake work? How about alba and brown beech? They also offer a sampler which “may” contain: Alba Clamshell, Trumpet Royale, Brown Clamshell, Forest Nameko, Velvet Pioppini, Maitake Frondosa.

1 Like

I remember a mushroom larb recipe doing the rounds a while back.

A mix of mushrooms is lovely (I usually sauté each type separately). Big yes to both shiitake and maitake, also trumpet / king oyster and oyster. I almost always also leave either button or crimini in the mix.

(If your daughter isn’t vegetarian, I’d use fish sauce in the larb dressing.)

2 Likes