An Area with Lots of Good Restaurants and Hotels in Walking Distance?

I am not trying to be snarky either but did you see the bizarre demo site?

Kids Eat Free?
Dutch Treat?
Cart (0)?
Some strange link between distance and compensation model?

psbanerjee, are you talking about the Welcome page accessed from the navbar of the link provided above?

First of all, it is mainly designed for smartphones so customers can find good food handy. I know you carry your Apple Mac everywhere, so it may look weird to you. Sorry for that!

Secondly, as mentioned to sck regarding to his valuable suggestion about focusing on the supply side, the Welcome page is to introduce the customers about some key functionalities of the club so that they can join and contribute their recs later. Sorry for many tools that haven’t been discussed here!

There aren’t many recs in the database for other area than Mission District SF, sorry to HOs out of the district getting nothing but clicking around!

Thank psbanerjee for digging deep and bringing things up!

You should have listed a recommended dish, tip, etc. Whereas a Michelin style place is supposed to cook everything great, most places listed on Hungry Onion have a mix of fool’s gold and desirable items.

A good point, Hyperbowler!

I had given this a lot of thoughts before I started the coding. My solution came with the Dutch treat dining service: For most dinners, when ordering in a restaurant of his familiar cuisines they are normally comfort with either picking their desirable dishes from the menu themselves or getting one through communication with a server; So for dinners who are interested in trying new styles of cuisines but don’t know what to order, the Dutch treat comes to play: they can get the face-to-face suggestions about dishes and more from a friendly local guide in the club.

Of course, they can just get a restaurant name from the free search or slightly tipped city search, then go to somewhere else like Yelp reading many many reviews to figure out the dishes. That is why I would say the proposed app is compatible with other food sites or forums like us.

For the record, I have no idea what “Dutch Treat” is.

Please look into this, https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Dutch+treat.

What’s the American way to say it? In China, it is "go AA ".

That use is typically to “go Dutch” but the term was popular in the 60’s.

I associate the term with derision. It’s the term when a man can’t afford to treat a woman, back in the days when gender roles were so strong that it was always expected that the man would pay. These days we simply don’t use the term - I haven’t heard anyone use it in 30 years.

In some ways, the term is racially offensive. The fact that a “treat” is splitting the check means the dutch are sneaky and deceptive. I’ve never heard anyone say that, but in general, in America, we have removed whatever racial and national language we can. For example, no one ever uses the old term to “Jew down” meaning “to bargain well”, that’s offensive.

These days, we simply say we split the check.

For example, if you go into Lyft, they allow each rider to pay their own way, and they call it “splitting”, as does Venmo / Paypal ( when you pay a restaurant, you can have a list of people and make requests from them ).

I can tell English isn’t your first language, no problem, just sharing that you’re using a term that is obscure at best and very slightly offensive. If you are expecting this app to take off in America, you might consider finding a trusted native speaker to fix these kinds of issues.

Thank you very much for the thorough information about the term! I owe you for another good suggestion about a native speaker partner. A true writer and HO!

[quote=“fishfly, post:48, topic:15272”]

A true writer and HO!

Who are you calling HO?

It’s like: You just came to America, a local helped you and you appreciated and said “Thank you. You are a true American!”

HOs? I guess we all are. :sweat_smile:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Thank you for being helping, questioning and watching!

It seems that most of the B&Bers in the Mission District are getting recs from their hosts. There are only a few mobile searches per day in the Google Ads setup phase, so I’ll have to wait 7 more days to do a weekly report for the whole picture to show.

But before that, why don’t survey our fellow HOs for a Turkey Day fun? Here is a poll I just created in the General Discussions: A Turkey Day poll: Do you think such a free APP is useful to you? Please do vote while eating your turkey. Thanks in advance!

Are you familiar with Mr. Velvet Jones?

No. Why this question?

Thanks to many HOs for advising, I reworked the demo, and now anyone outside of the Mission District can pick an address in the district to give it a try here, https://www.fishfly.club/w2Demo/.

Please do vote on the slightly changed question in this post. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving vacation!

Advertising in Google AdWords is really hard: The quality score of a keyword is supposed to use for awarding a good ad, but to me it seems that it is a great excuse to overcharge advertisers ( I have two almost identical keywords in the ad, “good nearby restaurants” and “good restaurants near me”, and the latter one received a worse quality score and most of the clicks were stuck to it instead of the former one!). And more shocking is, as the owner of the “AlphaGo” (called Alpha Dog in China), Google cannot get its machine learning around my account’s Central Time to peak my ad’s shows at Pacific Time lunch time and dinner time! I had to call a rep to change my account’s time zone manually to correct the two hours off :dizzy_face:

With that and holiday and weather, the first week’s result from Black Friday 11/23 to 11/29 was a bit compromised I guess:

• 24 clicks out of 547 smartphone impressions, i.e., 4.39% Click-Through-Rate, which is much better than the average of 2.18% for Travel&Hospitality industry, considering the average of 1.91% across all industries;

• 18 individuals from the 24 clicks above actually landed on the demo page (without the address input section), some double-clicked I guess. Out of the 18 users, 4 users tried the walking distance search, and 2 of them went ahead required the addresses.

Though the search tool usage rate (4/18=22%) is low, 50% of the folks who tried the tool eventually required the final product ( felt kinda useful to them) is a pretty good result. But It could go much lower with more tryouts coming in following weeks.