Amsterdam, The Netherlands

thanks, very kind!

yes, those beets really blew me away.

Glad to hear you enjoyed
Nice write up
Fruit de mer in Dutch is zeevruchten (fruit of the sea :wink: )
I was missing the Indonesian food, although The Hague is the better city for that. It’s the food I grew up with

4 Likes

thanks for that! the menu actually listed it as fruits de mer, I’m sure for all us tourists.

Yes, I’m sorry we missed out on trying Indonesian food… next time!

1 Like

Here’s some!

2 Likes

How A’dam has changed! Gone are the days when it was all about rollmops and herring and surinamese roti and the Indonesian rijstaffel. I hope to return to A’dam and follow your itinerary.

1 Like

Not just for tourists, here in the Netherlands fruits de mer is a well-known phrase. We have a soft spot for French food… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, what a report! Your photos are drool worthy. I remember stopping by their food hall and the bitterballen stand too, and tried several different types of bitterballen. I loved Amsterdam, and it looks like you had a great trip too. I’m surprised I don’t see any breakfast pictures (unless you eat a way more luxurious breakfast than I do). I did have to try a dutch baby pancake while I was there – apple, cheddar, and bacon, and it was delicious.

EDIT: And for all the stroopwafel lovers, getting the fresh made ones from a bakery. Ooohh…

3 Likes

there was a fancy rollmop in one of our chef’s tasting menus, does that count? :stuck_out_tongue:

we didn’t eat breakfast, hardly at all. i think one morning we got a couple of croissants to share (ham & cheese & sausage) from a nearby bakery before heading to a museum, but mostly we waited until lunchtime. you would have had to roll us down the street if we’d been eating bfasts too! :laughing:

1 Like

:fish:heck yeah

1 Like

Just got back from Amsterdam and tried a couple of the places listed.

Rijks
Walked in for a la carte dinner. Did not feel like spending hours!
Food was fantastic still.

Pesca
Yes lots of fun and food was better than expected.

New spots not mentioned:
De Kas is a 1* spot that is we had lunch at. Great food for vegetarians!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Not sure I’ll make it to the 'dam this summer, but that’s good info :slight_smile:

De Kas is a place we tried to get into but could not! Glad you enjoyed the other two!

Some other restaurants worth visiting:

Restaurant Max is an Indonesian restaurant 2 course Rijsttafel menu € 39 per person without the MAX dessert. Great food and value. Rijsttafel was better than one we had in Bali.

The Old Soul is a plant based Vegan Surinamese restaurant. We have never tried this cuisine… Packed, fun, again great for Vegans/Vegetarians.

Meatless District is a plant based Vegan also good for Vegans/Vegetarians.

SAINT-JEAN is a plant based bakery and deli in the Jordaan district of Amsterdam. Wonderful pastries that rival ‘regular’ ones.

Food was half the price of San Francisco…

4 Likes

agreed, we too found that overall, prices were much lower then than here in SF.

and again, if i were to go back (and why wouldn’t i?), i will try Rijsttafel!

1 Like

A great reason to visit Amsterdam are the Tulips at nearby Kekenhof. They are only open for about 8 weeks but garner 1.4M visitors. March 21 through May 12, 2024. Simply Incredible! (Alas, the Kekenhof food was forgettable.)

5 Likes