Amphibian windfall

Coldfall, to be more precise. First this Northerner has heard of iguanas as a menu item.

Great read. Thank you! We ate alligator when we were in the Everglades. Not a high end place. Tasted like dried out pork. At this point in my life, with my limited appetite and labeled “senior with a compromised immune system” I doubt I would venture to eat Iguana. I don’t even risk sushi anymore, sadly…

They’re reptiles. They taste like (surprise!) chicken more or less. Not worth $60 a pound to me. I love frog legs though.

Thanks for posting! I have to confess, when I first looked at the topic title, I thought it said Ambien windfall. Gave me a good chuckle!

4 Likes

chicken of the trees

8 Likes

Sounds great in a taco . Not worth that price at all otherwise

Ha, you are funny Andrea!

Coincidentally enough, I just finished re-reading Carl Hiaasen’s Chomp, in which the primary adult protagonist is suffering from chronic headaches and double vision after a 7-lb frozen-stiff iguana falls on his head after a snap frost…:wink:

But back on OT, I’ve never heard of eating them either, and I certainly won’t be at $60/lb! They’re an invasive species for Pete’s sake (so not exactly scarce), and not exactly hard to catch, either (even when they aren’t literally dropping out of trees…)

1 Like

They show up pretty regularly both fresh and frozen at a local grocer, Fiesta Market.

Usually selling at $18.99/lb.

(and they’re reptiles, not “fibians”)

They’re commonly eaten throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. Cheap, easy protein. They’re also a nasty, ill-tempered invasive species that devours local fauna, so nobody sheds a tear when they get picked up like windfall apples.

Haven’t eaten it, but certainly would if given the chance.

A young Bourdain in A Cook’s Tour had him eating an Iguana tamale. Commentary was hilarious, ending with “worst episode. Ever”.

Had enjoyed his shows before that, been a devoted fan ever since.

1 Like